Author Topic: Hello from London UK  (Read 901 times)

Simonh

Hello from London UK
« on: September 26, 2017, 06:39:31 AM »
Hello. I’m Simon, mid 30s professional in London and I keep an allotment, brew beer, make bacon with hopes of making aged charcuterie - and I’ve recently started attempting to make cheese. A couple of years ago I built a 16m2 ‘log cabin’ at the bottom of my garden for conducting hobbies such as these, and it is now choca-bloc with equipment, wine fridge, homemade temperature controlled caninet and ‘cheese cave’ amongst other things - and occasionally a lawn mower.

I’m excited about a forum to query with all my curd related question.  I’m also really interested in discovering like minded people locally. Are these growing hobbies? Why are cheese cultures so expensive and difficult to source in the UK... etc.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Hello from London UK
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 01:42:39 PM »
Welcome, Simon! There is a thriving community of home/hobby cheese makers here on the forum; hopefully one or more will be close by to you.
-- Andy

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 10:22:28 PM »
Welcome on board Simon.
Sounds like a nice setup you have there.
Although cultures are expensive, you will find that a little goes a long way and, if you only get the ones you really need, it's not too bad.
I don't know what sourcing cultures is like there but I buy all mine online without any problems.
- Andrew

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 02:45:11 AM »
Hi Simon! Welcome to the cheese forum !
You are in good company here, we are a very helpful and mature group, no question is silly, so feel free to ask away. There is a section here on curing and smoking meat too for some good non cheese reading. I also dabble in smoking and charcuterie for more food fun. I don't make wine... but, I buy (and sample) a lot of it ;)
Look forward to your posts and pictures of awesome cheese and food creations.

Fritz

Simonh

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 10:43:59 PM »
Thanks guys. I’m currently tending to a trio of camemberts where the p cand is battling some blue. I post photos on instagram under @roastsmokemalt if anyone fancies a peek  :)

reg

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 12:21:04 PM »
Hi Simon, sounds like a nice setup you have there.

Beside making cheese I also make a lot of charcuterie so if you need any help with the long cured meats just shout out.

nym

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 12:11:41 PM »
Hi Simon

Nice to see someone else from the UK on the forum :D. I'm in Oxford. I also have an allotment but know nothing about charcuterie! This forum is amazing. I've had loads of help whenever I've posted a query and learnt so much by just browsing other people's posts.
I've been interested in making cheese for about a year. I've experimented mostly with blue cheeses but have also had a go at Camembert and feta styles. I'd love to be able to try hard cheeses like Cheddar but I don't (yet) have a press.
In terms of suppliers I've ordered from www.homesteadfarmsupplies.co.uk and www.cheesemaking.co.uk but my latest purchase was from www.gnltd.co.uk where it's possible to be more specific about which culture you choose. I'd be curious to know if you've found other UK suppliers.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 02:15:01 PM »
Welcome!
I'm smoking bacon today, too.
Come for a visit if you're ever in Costa Rica!

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

panamamike

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 08:25:23 PM »
Welcome to the forum Simon!