Author Topic: Ripening confusion...  (Read 1654 times)

AnnDee

Re: Ripening confusion...
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 10:28:35 AM »
Oh wow, what happened?

My two cents:
No ripening period will most probably produce creamy and sweeter cheese with semi soft texture. I think also lower yield. The curd will be slightly weaker.
With ripening period will produce tangier cheese with firmer texture, both curd and cheese.

For example when I make Fourme d'Ambert, I use a no ripening period recipe, the result is creamy, sweet and almost gooey texture.
When I make Gorgonzola however, I wait until the PH drop a little before rennet and the result is a more stronger tasting blue with a firmer paste.

But that is all based on my own experience and understanding. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 05:49:17 AM »
I do not see how not ripening to lower the ph  before rennet will effect the cheese outcome  if you hoop at the normal ph.

I would certainly listen if some one had a good argument for why it would have any effect  on the outcome after hooping

The only effect I can imagine is a weaker curd and the normal effects that go along with weaker curd.

Now if one was to use a live culture then one can add rennet straight away with no ill effects as there is no lag for the culture to wake up and the 1.5 percent or so gives a ph drop straight away.

tangy is 100 percent the effect of  a low ph . Tangy is below 4.8 or so and sweet is above 5

AnnDee

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 01:11:07 PM »
Check out Milk Jam London, she usually does several cheese with different alterations comparison. It is quite interesting.