Author Topic: Preferred milk for Parm.  (Read 1671 times)

Dorchestercheese

Preferred milk for Parm.
« on: September 28, 2017, 11:10:32 PM »
I normally buy raw milk because I find it more enjoyable to work to make cheese.
Any thoughts on skimming it or pasterizing it?

5ittingduck

Re: Preferred milk for Parm.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 07:13:24 AM »
Skimming raw milk is a pain.  If you use a separator, it takes heaps of cream to prime it and is a laborious cleanup.
Letting the cream float to the top and ladling it off can reduce fat percentage significantly, but my experiences were spotty.
Mixing ladled off raw milk and commercial skim is a possibility.
I found i was getting a really good result making full cream Romano and Manchego and long ageing, as well as a much higher yield.
If i was making Parmesan again, I would seriously consider buying commercial milk.
I never pasteurise my raw milk, but I am absolutely confident about the source (this morning was Winnie and Monique, the cheese today is Cotswold) and if you have even the slightest doubt or misgivings, low temp long hold pasteurise to make sure.
Raw milk is just the best to work with, and the cheeses are fantastic.

AnnDee

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 02:13:32 PM »
I make my parm with full cream milk, just because I don't want to clean up my cream separator, so sittingduck is right about painintheneck cleaning up. I age it for a year and got good results.
I do skimming too, especially if I need cream for making double cream bloomy rinds. I put the milk in a 12L drink dispensers (with faucet at the bottom), put it in the fridge and the next day open the faucet to drain the milk and save the cream.
Just be sure to open the faucet a little at a time, otherwise it will pull the cream down.

reg

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 03:22:28 PM »
Oh, you learn something every day, thanks Ann

AnnDee

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 10:37:13 AM »
Anytime, reg :)

Dorchestercheese

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 12:10:32 AM »
Thanks.  I am glad for all the help. I'll put them to good use.