Author Topic: Goat Milk gives less Curd Mass  (Read 1866 times)

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 35
  • Default personal text
Goat Milk gives less Curd Mass
« on: October 01, 2017, 10:49:14 PM »
I have used Goat Milk twice in two Gouda Cheeses. Normally I use Cow Milk (Low Pasteurized and Raw) in my Cheeses. The Goat Milk is Raw and from the Saanen Breed. My question is: In general does Goat Milk give less curd than Cow Milk? I normally make 2lb cheeses and the Goat Milk Curd has been way less than any Cow Milk makes. I am thinking that in future Goat Milk cheeses to start with 3 gallons just to get more curds closer what I get in Cow Milk cheeses.

Thanks all
Mike

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
Re: Goat Milk gives less Curd Mass
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »
Hey there
Sorry I missed this earlier.
It isn't necessarily the difference between cow and goat as much as it is between breeds.  Just like some breeds of cow milk give more curd than others, the same is true with goats.  Saanen are know to be high quantity producers but of lower protein and much lower fat content than other dairy goat breeds.
Saanens usually have a protein content of less than 3% and a butterfat content of between 2.5% to 3%
LaManchas on the other hand have around 3.4 % protein (Similar to cow) and butterfat of about 4.5% (They and Nubians are the Jerseys of the goat world)

I have LaManchas and I typically get the same quantity of curd as I get when I use Jersey cow milk.

So that Saanen milk is perfect as is for low fat, long aging cheeses, but it's not the best choice for cheese with higher fat content.
Hope that helps.
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 11:33:06 PM »
Depends on the dry content and fat/protein ratios and usually yes, you will get less yield.

I always use CaCl2 with goat's milk to get a stronger curd and increased yield.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 12:43:59 AM »
There's no need to use CaCl if it's raw milk-- only if it's been pasteurized

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

AnnDee

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 03:09:45 PM »
It is the breed, Saanen is a very 'light' goat's milk, both in protein and fat and also smell/taste. I almost could not smell the goatiness from Saanen goat's milk. I love using Nubian and anglo nubian breed, I do a mixed milk cheeses and when using nubian goat's milk, a little goes a long way.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• Old Cheese
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 10:30:41 PM »

Not really, even if it is raw goat's milk and you want more yield with a stronger curd you can play with, CaCl2 should be used.

For all other shop bought PH milk, CaCl2 is required.

If raw cow's, sheep's, camel's, water buffalo; there is no need to use CaCl2.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• Old Cheese
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 10:33:27 PM »
It is the breed, Saanen is a very 'light' goat's milk, both in protein and fat and also smell/taste. I almost could not smell the goatiness from Saanen goat's milk. I love using Nubian and anglo nubian breed, I do a mixed milk cheeses and when using nubian goat's milk, a little goes a long way.
It depends on the diet of the goat really. Oily seeds like sunflower, sesame in moderation should increase the fat and protein content of the milk. But yes, Saanen is an engineered breed for high milk production not quality.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 10:55:36 PM »

Not really, even if it is raw goat's milk and you want more yield with a stronger curd you can play with, CaCl2 should be used.

For all other shop bought PH milk, CaCl2 is required.

If raw cow's, sheep's, camel's, water buffalo; there is no need to use CaCl2.

I have never seen any difference in the strength of the curd or in the yield by using CaCl in my raw goat milk.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 11:09:49 PM »
You can effect some minor changes through diet, but you'll never get a Saanen to produce the milk fat content that a Nubian or LaMancha will

It depends on the diet of the goat really. Oily seeds like sunflower, sesame in moderation should increase the fat and protein content of the milk. But yes, Saanen is an engineered breed for high milk production not quality.

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 35
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 02:24:54 PM »
Thanks for the feedback all. Very good information.  It was just a big difference than what I was used to seeing in cows milk. I didn’t use any CaCl either. I will keep this in mind for future makes.