Author Topic: Gotta love linens! (Taleggio #9)  (Read 2846 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Gotta love linens! (Taleggio #9)
« on: October 02, 2017, 01:06:11 AM »
I had picked up 6 gallons of whole creamline milk on Friday but I didn't have any idea what I intended to make. When I woke up at 5AM yesterday I still had no clue what I was going to make, but I knew with my diminishing cheese inventory I needed to make something tasty...with some longevity. Should I make a 4 gallon, like say Hispanico, Montasio, or Beaufort, and a 2 gallon such as, Castle Blue, Fourme d"Ambert, or Silky Blue? No clue.... :(

After a cup of coffee, inspiration reached up and slapped me on the butt. I wanted washed rinds. They are one of my favorite techniques. I decided on another try at Taleggio (a delicious Italian cheese style) but this time I'll pare the milk down to 2.5 gallons so that the form factor is more agreeable to the rind treatment. I'll also move to the Tomme mould instead of the Lexan plates and the authentic Taleggio mould. If that's not enough to complicate the process, I'll try out the muslin bag idea for holding the curds in the mould. Normally I use Plyban (plastic cheesecloth). I want to create a smooth rind Taleggio.

Well, the bag idea worked only partially. You see, there's the seam and the extra bag material that can't seem to smooth out. Maybe I've got the wrong size bag. ???

2.5 gallons Twin Brook whole creamline milk

1/8 tsp TA-61
1/8 tsp Kazu
1/32 tsp Geo13
1/32 tsp SR3
1/32 tsp KL71
1/2 tsp CACL2
1/16 tsp dry calf rennet

Floc factor 4. Floc'd in 18 min.

I think this version of Taleggio will work just fine.

The other 3.5 gallons went into a cheese that I haven't made in five years, Esrom. This is Esrom #5.

It was a busy Saturday but I'm glad to have some more activity in the caves. And they're both washed rinds...yum!

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 06:36:02 AM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

tobyw

Re: Gotta love linens!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 05:29:01 PM »
That's a lovely looking cheese. I'd love to see some progress pictures / updates on how you achieve the washed rind.

I made a munster which looked very similar to this, but never got any kind of b.linens rind on it. It would be good to hear when you start washing and how it looks...

Definitely got cheese envy here.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »
Good luck; it looks great.
I made a Taleggio last year--having never had one.  Everyone loved the texture and the flavor when they tasted it here, but no one could stand to have it in their own house (they said they could smell it from one end to the other every time they opened the fridge  LOL)
So, I haven't been brave enough to give it another go.
Please keep us posted
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 06:04:44 AM »
b.linens rind
Here's an earlier example and my constant focus.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 02:25:42 PM »

That looks absolutely amazing!
I may have to give it another go now.  But often my cheeses come out a bit different due to the difference in goat vs cow milk.  BUT, the "milkman" comes up the street 3 times a week selling raw cow's milk.  Even though I'm currently getting 1.5 gallons a day from my "girls," I may be forced to buy some from him just to make a Taleggio like that!
Congrats to you.
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Gotta love linens! (Taleggio #9)
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 06:52:27 AM »
At five weeks (35 days), this cheese is a little early. Typical ripeness is 40-60 days. I was doing 3 gallon cheese makes, but I cut it down to two and a half gallons. That change in volume and form factor allows the cheese to ripen quicker towards the center.

Although the Geo is most prominent in the rind protection, there is slight linens hiding in there as well.

The rind is dry (not tacky, nor cracky ;) ).
The paste is firm when cold, but softens at room temperature.
It is creamy but could have used more brine time.
Decent little cheese. :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 04:00:23 PM »
That looks incredible Boofer.  I must have done something wrong when I did mine because it started to liquify pretty much the same as cams do.  I think I'll have to try this again using your recipe. AC4 your incredible Taleggio!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 06:34:06 PM »
Thanks for the cheese, Al.

You know what's not apparent with this make? I believe I have stumbled upon my long sought after "smooth rind Taleggio" (#4, #5, #6). Seems pretty obvious in hindsight. Just put the curds into a Tomme mould. Duh! ::)  My quest was to eliminate the lands and grooves inherent in the official Taleggio mould and thus eliminate opportunities for blue incursions. Ta da!!

I believe the culture mix is right, the milk volume is right, and the choice of mould is right. Now I need to duplicate this make to corroborate my theory.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 07:09:12 PM »
Well I just picked up a cheap bottle of brandy, Paul Masson Grande Amber, so I my be in the market for doing one of these and one of your other makes, Esrom.  Really want to get some cheeses in the cave.  Self invited guests for dinner today so maybe I can get something going tomorrow.  Making an Italian style pulled pork if you're in the neighborhood.  ;D

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 07:48:44 PM »
Okay, so I run through my cultures to make sure I have everything to do this and find that I have Geo 15 instead of 13.  When I read up on the differences it turns out the 15 is for smooth rind applications and washed rinds which is exactly what I want to do.  I'll keep you posted and we'll see what, if any, the differences are. :o

"Geotrichum 15, 10 doses:  Geo 15, the yeast strain of Geotrichum Candidum. Perfect for cheeses that require a smooth surface, or pre-yeasting cycle; perfect for washed and mixed rind cheeses like Reblochon or for wild, smeared, or brushed rind Tommes. It will also work well in bloomy and lactic cheeses. When comparing with Geo 13 and 17, the Geo 15 strain features a creamier color, it is less proteolytic, and has a slightly lower optimum growth temperature. It does not develop the “brainy”/”wormy” texture of some other Geo strains.  Geo 15 will typically start off as a slimy covering but after it has been covered with other moulds it may grow through them as a dry loose top layer dusting (less mycelium, more arthrospores)."
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 08:10:19 PM by Al Lewis »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 02:35:59 PM »
Never tried Geo15 so I will be watching this. Sounds like something worth exploring. I need to renew/refresh some of my cultures so now might be a good time.

I've been working towards restocking the caves. I had pretty much gotten down to the symbolic lonely wedge like H-K-J showed us. Pretty sad state of affairs. Looking better now though.

In progress:
  • Two Tommes
  • Two Talleggios
  • Esrom
  • Fourme d'Amberg
I'd like to get a Trappist and a Montasio in there as well.
Those little Kadova cheeses make sweet little holiday gifts. Just the right size. ;)

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 04:45:12 PM »
Well the Cheese Connection in Seattle carry it if you want a fast and reliable place with great customer service.  http://www.cheeseconnection.net/product/geotrichum-candidum/  They also have a liquid geo for brie and cams I've never seen.  May have to try some of that.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 07:55:44 PM »
Doing my Taleggio now and the herb de provence should be here today so tomorrow I'll take on the Esrom. ;D

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 08:20:05 PM »
Oops sorry Al I hit the report to moderator button instead of your video button :-[
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 11:00:14 PM »
Oops sorry Al I hit the report to moderator button instead of your video button :-[
I'm not gonna say it. LOL