Author Topic: Non-iodized salt that contains calcium silicate...ok?  (Read 4077 times)

dougspcs

Non-iodized salt that contains calcium silicate...ok?
« on: October 02, 2017, 12:14:46 PM »
So as mentioned I bought some Morton non-iodized salt thinking it was a good score at $99 for a box

But then got home and realized it contains something else..calcium silicate!!

Is this safe for me 1st cheese batch?? Or am I back off the store for proper kosher/cheese salt?

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Non-iodized salt that contains calcium silicate...ok?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 04:24:32 AM »
I think it should be fine , but the bigger issue is if you are useing a measured recipe the salt amount will be off a little bit if it is fine rather than flaked .

I use diamond crystal  kosher . The reason for kosher is that it is flaked and this helps it stick to the cheese .

dougspcs

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 05:21:50 PM »
I think it should be fine , but the bigger issue is if you are useing a measured recipe the salt amount will be off a little bit if it is fine rather than flaked .

I use diamond crystal  kosher . The reason for kosher is that it is flaked and this helps it stick to the cheese .

Yes, I'm familiar with measure discrepancy between kosher and fine.. having used a measured amount of regular salt in a recipe when doing my smoking in the past.

But instead of using kosher as the recipe calls, use a fine salt..then wonder why the end product was so salty to taste!!

A simple 1/3 adjustment by measure seems to cover the difference well to compensate.

Now of the other side I didn't consider the 'stick to the cheese' factor!??

On a different note..just last night I went to my local grocery store and bought some "Aurora Mediterranean Sea Salt" at $1.49 / 1kg box. A steal of a deal..I looked it up online and found it's 100% natural with NO anti-caking agent or iodine.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 07:23:46 PM »
I just noticed the price - personally, I would think $99 too much to pay for a box of salt ... :)

Yes, just yanking your chain - I assume you meant $0.99?

Glad you found an alternative!
-- Andy

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 08:47:25 PM »
I actually use the Kirkwoods (cosco brand) of salt when I cant get cheese salt.

-- mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 05:18:35 AM »
The only issue with natural sea salt according to glandais , is that it can contain minerals  other than salt

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 02:49:20 PM »
I remember a long time ago we had this discussion, I found Morton pickling salt is nothing but salt and have used it since.
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

john H

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 08:33:58 PM »
"On a different note..just last night I went to my local grocery store and bought some "Aurora Mediterranean Sea Salt" at $1.49 / 1kg box. A steal of a deal..I looked it up online and found it's 100% natural with NO anti-caking agent or iodine."

This is the salt that I use. I usually pickup fine and course some for cheese and fine for dry cured smoked meats as it dissolves quicker. This week Food Basics has the salt on for $.88 KG if you have a food basics near you. Salt will be going on sale off and on until January when the Italians make there cured meats.