CHEESE TYPE BOARDS (for Cheese Lovers and Cheese Makers) > RENNET COAGULATED - Semi-Hard "Sweet" Washed Curd

Buttercase, Butterkase, Butterkaese

(1/3) > >>

GortKlaatu:
As some of you now know, I live in Costa Rica, and there are NO international cheeses here--only the two fresh local varieties.

I've never tasted Buttercase, et al, so I have no real idea about how it should taste.  But, I have some German neighbors who are longing for some. So, I'm giving it a whirl. And since we have dairy goats, that's the milk I'll be using. So that will undoubtedly change the character of it, too.
So, I'm just hoping for something that is soft, sweet, buttery and creamy to try to surprise my German friends.
Wish me luck

awakephd:
Looking forward to hearing the full report!

GortKlaatu:
OK so I have another question about Butterkase.

Some recipes recommend very light pressing--just enough to consolidate the surface while others (Like one I saw from Danbo that has had very good reviews) recommend crazy high pressing weights.

What gives??

Al Lewis:
Look for a member on here named Danbo.  He is a master of making butterkase and has posted his recipe.  Check out this thread   http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,16092.0.html

GortKlaatu:
Thanks Al,
But  Danbo's recipe was one of the one I was referring to--he uses crazy high weight during pressing compared to most other recipes.  That what I was questioning.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version