Author Topic: Raspberry-Rhubarb wine  (Read 6876 times)

MrsKK

Raspberry-Rhubarb wine
« on: July 05, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »
Raspberry-Rhubarb Wine

Ingredients:
3 1/2 lb Raspberries
1 3/4 lb Rhubarb, cut 1/2 in or less
4 lb sugar
1 oz yeast (I use baking yeast - results are not as high in alcohol, but plenty for me)
1 gallon water

Method:
Bring water to a boil.  Crush the berries and blend with the rhubarb, pour the boiling water over the fruit and leave to soak for 48 hours.

Stir, crush well with the hands, then strain the pulp through a jelly-bag or cheesecloth.  Bring the juice just to boiling-point and simmer for two minutes.  Pour the hot liquid over the sugar and stir until all the sugar is dissolved.

Allow the brew to cool, then sprinkle the yeast on top and stir in.  Cover the brew (I use a new plastic bag with a rubber band to hold it on) and allow to ferment for 14 days, keeping in a warm place. 

Siphon off the clear wine into sterilized bottles, cork/cap and allow to age for at least 6 months.

Tea

Re: Raspberry-Rhubarb wine
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 08:33:41 PM »
Thankyou MrsK for this.  I am very tempted to try this in a mead.  Using a raspberry honey hopefully it will turn out nice.

MrsKK

Re: Raspberry-Rhubarb wine
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 05:31:28 PM »
Good luck with it, Tea.  I've only tried a couple of different types of mead, and didn't really care for it.

However, I'm not much of a drinker.  Most of the wine I make is given away for Christmas.

Let us know how it turns out for you.