Author Topic: mixers  (Read 1285 times)

reg

mixers
« on: October 13, 2017, 12:35:37 PM »
Has anyone ever tried those automatic stirrers they have on the market ? I looked at the Ardente Stirrer on the net but have no idea if they would work for making small batch cheeses

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: mixers
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 04:35:06 PM »
I remember reading some forum posts some years ago where a few folks have experimented with making a stirrer.

As I recall, the results were mixed.

Yes, I'm afraid the pun was intentional. :) But the statement is also true - as best I recall, there was not a clear sense of success.
-- Andy

Duntov

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 05:22:06 PM »
I use my hand while listening to music.  Strangely enjoyable.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 11:03:21 PM »
I use my hand while listening to music.  Strangely enjoyable.

Oh Florida!!! ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 09:55:58 PM »
I too put on headphones and either music or an audiobook whilst stirring ...
-- Andy

reg

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 01:44:37 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, if no one is using them then I'm guessing they are not strong enough to do the job

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 02:40:46 PM »
Maybe closer to say they are too strong to do the job . Unless they mix slowly they will crush the curd .

And my gut feeling is the smaller the mixer the slower it will need to turn . If you look at the proportions of blade to mixer vat on a commercial mixer  and try to do that on let's say a ten gallon pot  the blade would be about a 1/4 in wide  or smaller which would cut curds not stir. So that means you would need a wider blade that is turning much slower .

That is my guess based on thoughts , actual experiments would need to be performed to tune the the machine once built.

AnnDee

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »
Just keep stirring, just keep stirring, just keep just keep just keep stirring... *Dory style from Finding Nemo

reg

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 11:55:18 AM »
Gregore they are very slow turning and have what looks to be nice size paddles at different heights. By looking at their advertisement video they look like they would work if they had enough power. If no one is using them my guess is that they don't have the power required

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 04:15:37 AM »
I think it could work from what I see on the video I looked at ,  if there was issues I would not think it would be strength , it might be that it stirs too slow. 

There seems to be quite a few   Ompanies making them so if you can find one with adjustable speeds I think that would be better.