Author Topic: Heating a cave during the winter  (Read 831 times)

Offline millenof6

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
Heating a cave during the winter
« on: October 15, 2017, 11:04:41 PM »
Hey everyone.  Last year I had to move everything out of my cave for the winter, due to the temperatures inside getting very near freezing.  This year I am hoping to figure out a way to keep it at temperature so I can continue aging through the winter. (We have a baby on the way and I want to stock up to get us through the first couple months of "I don't have the energy to make cheese.")

I have some ideas but first the situation.  My cave is a 7.2 cu.ft. chest freezer with a dehumidifier (My cave gets super humid for some reason) set up on a controller, and I have a temperature controller that only does cooling.  The cave is out in our garage which is only marginally insulated but the cave generally stays in the forties during the winter months.

So I already have a temperature controller picked out that does both heating and cooling.   But I'm not quite sure what to use for the heating.  Some of my thoughts were using an aquarium heater in a small tank of water or my brother suggested a heating pad.  I'm not sure if either of these are feasible?  Does anyone else have this issue or any better solutions than mine?  Also what kind of fans do people use for circulation?
Thanks.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Heating a cave during the winter
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 03:45:03 AM »
A seedling heating mat should put out more than enough heat .

reg

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 12:02:29 PM »
A light bulb built into a small wooden ventilated box

dickdeuel

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 01:39:55 PM »
Take a look at dealers for reptile heating equipment.  They have all kinds of temperature controllers, heat tape, and heat mats that you may be able to use.