Author Topic: Bel Paese Problems  (Read 2422 times)

tobyw

Bel Paese Problems
« on: October 16, 2017, 09:55:24 PM »
I made what is supposed to be a Bel Paese several weeks ago, using the Gavin Webster receive on CurdNurd.

It all aged fine in the fridge, and smelt nice, so following the recipe I finally wrapped it in breathable cheese paper and left it to ripen for a while longer at the back of the fridge.

I checked it today after about 10 days and found the moisture in the fridge had moistened it's wrapping, and on unwrapping I was greeted by a kaleidoscope of different moulds. It was also very slimy and smelly on the bottom - a fermented smell.

I gave it a wipe with a brine soaked cloth, but it's not looking very appealing.

What does everyone think? Should I just let it dry out a bit and then go ahead and eat it after cutting off the outsides? Or would any of these moulds be a red flag?

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Bel Paese Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 04:06:45 AM »
Yes let it dry off a little . Then try aging in a Tupperware  as I think you may have too much moisture in the curd.

The worst the molds will do is effect the flavor near the rind , the inside will be fine .

tobyw

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 05:44:14 PM »
Thanks Gregore - you are always there to reassure me about poisoning myself!  :D

It's a shame...for a while this cheese was really shaping up to be a nice specimen. According to the recipe it was suitable to age at a low temp. and it did really well until I came to wrap. It said to wrap in foil, but thats when it became damp. I probably should have vacuum sealed it instead but presumably that would stop it aging?

DenMike99

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 10:34:12 PM »
I just made the same cheese, and it comes out very moist. It was almost like a sponge after getting it out of the mould. My usual 4 gallon batches comes out around 4lbs., this one came out at 4lbs 10oz. I guess that's due to no pressing and maybe 0 ripening time comes into play as well. Don't know.

Mine is in the regular fridge on day 7 in a container, and so far everything looks and smells good. You were suppose to wait 3 weeks before wrapping according to the recipe. Maybe that's where it went wrong?

Btw, the recipe he is using is from "200 easy homemade cheese recipes"

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 04:25:02 AM »
Just for the record , moldy cheese is not dangerous to eat.

One needs to worry about listeria, samonella or E.coli , and those are usually acquired early in the make or before you start making .  Though listeria can get on soft young cheeses that have cultures that raise the surface ph  after the make .

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 06:31:01 PM »
I probably should have vacuum sealed it instead but presumably that would stop it aging?

Vacuum sealing will stop processes that require oxygen - prime example the growth of the PR in a blue cheese. However, aging will still occur as the enzymes continue to work. You will get a somewhat different result if aged in vacuum than if aged in other ways, but vacuum-bagged aging can produce some amazingly good cheese.

All that said ... if this is a high-moisture cheese, it might not be the best candidate for vacuum aging. The vacuum will tend to draw out moisture, leaving you will moisture around the cheese in the bag. This is at the least cosmetically unpleasant, and at worst can lead to development of unwanted flavors.
-- Andy

tobyw

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 07:32:41 AM »
You were suppose to wait 3 weeks before wrapping according to the recipe. Maybe that's where it went wrong?

Yes that's how mine went too. It got like this after wrapping. What did you wrap in? The recipe suggested foil, and that's what I used, but it started to get mouldy so switched to breathable paper, which didn't make any difference. I think basically it's not designed to age that long maybe? Mould started appearing about 2 weeks after wrapping. I think I should have just eaten it earlier..

tobyw

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 07:39:08 AM »
I probably should have vacuum sealed it instead but presumably that would stop it aging?

Vacuum sealing will stop processes that require oxygen - prime example the growth of the PR in a blue cheese. However, aging will still occur as the enzymes continue to work. You will get a somewhat different result if aged in vacuum than if aged in other ways, but vacuum-bagged aging can produce some amazingly good cheese.

All that said ... if this is a high-moisture cheese, it might not be the best candidate for vacuum aging. The vacuum will tend to draw out moisture, leaving you will moisture around the cheese in the bag. This is at the least cosmetically unpleasant, and at worst can lead to development of unwanted flavors.

Yes I've experienced that moisture when trying to vacuum seal Halloumi too soon after making it. Waiting a while helps, but you still get some. I notice that even the shop bought Halloumi we have in the fridge has liquid around parts of the cheese.

It's interesting to know the enzymes stilll work. So I guess that makes them anaerobic? (trying to remember O level biology!)

tobyw

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 09:06:55 PM »
And here are the pictures from today's eating. It was delicious. Perhaps a tiny bit too salty, but otherwise a rich, creamy Edam-like cheese. I will definitely try this one again. Thanks again for the advice.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 10:15:59 PM »
Well done - a cheese for you!
-- Andy

Duntov

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 11:52:31 PM »
Good save!  A cheese from me too.

tobyw

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 07:40:48 PM »
Many humble thanks! I'd be lost without this forum..