Author Topic: Hi I am Cecil and is from Cape Town South Africa  (Read 689 times)

manningcecil

Hi I am Cecil and is from Cape Town South Africa
« on: October 18, 2017, 08:03:39 AM »
Hi
I am from Cape Town and have started making cheese at home. My Halloumi is perfect. My Feta is salty, but wonderful. My Mozzarella stretched and my two Gouda's is aging. My problem child is the Morbier.
I have made a morbier and have flipped it for a week in my "cave".
My question is, Tomorrow I have to wash it with B.linen wash. And then twice a week for two months. After the fist wash with the B.Linen wash, do I wash it  with a simple brine wash or with the B.linen wash every other day for 2 months?

Thanks for the add to this group and for all the help I'm going to received from you all.

Thanks

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Hi I am Cecil and is from Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 06:24:59 PM »
I can't help you on the Morbier, as I've not made this or any other washed rind cheese. But I can and do welcome you to the forum!
-- Andy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 04:31:21 AM »
Usually  for washed rind cheeses i use the same water from the previous days to wash the cheese , I can not say for sure if it is done commercially this  way or with fresh brine.

This brine is made with blinens , salt and water at about 3.5  to 4 percent by weight of salt  and a pinch of blinens , let sit 24 hrs  in cave then use .

It should be slimey before washing ..... do not go by time on this

manningcecil

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 05:28:39 AM »
Thanks Andy and Gregore.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 04:03:41 PM »
Welcome!
For many washed rind cheeses, you wash with the B linens for the first couple of weeks and then once the colony is established (you can see the orange color showing) you just continue with simple brine washes for the remainder of the time. 
But like many other things in cheesemaking, there are many variations on the theme.

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

manningcecil

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 08:06:01 AM »
Thanks GortKlaatu
I'll do so.
Thanks