Author Topic: Bulk tank usage  (Read 3854 times)

Offline jeanderson318

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Bulk tank usage
« on: October 18, 2017, 07:03:46 PM »
Brand new to the forum, so hey, look forward to a lot of learning and discussion.

My family is in the process of starting a small dairy/creamery and we're currently in the process of procuring equipment.

We have a possibility of purchasing a 300gal bulk tank.  The problem is that the freon lines are broke, and the cost to fix is unknown, if it's even fixable.  My question is if it is unfix-able, are there other uses for it in the cheese or yogurt making process? 

*sidenote
The insulation is fine on it.  The farmer using it now utilizes it along side a 600gal tank.  Uses the 600 to cool then pumps over to the 300.

If there are any possible uses for it without fixing the freon lines, that will help me determine what we're willing to pay for it. 

Any feedback is welcome.  Look forward to scouring and learning on this forum.

Offline FooKayaks2

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Re: Bulk tank usage
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 12:55:32 AM »
Hi

One use i can think of could be as a pH correction tank for trade waste discharge, i am assuming you have a mixer on the tank. We have a customer who uses a milk bulk tank in this way.

Mathew

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 01:40:38 AM »
No insights to offer on the tank, but welcome to the forum!
-- Andy

Offline sprocket

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 06:02:18 PM »
If you're planning on making cheese, I used an old broken milk tank as a brine tank in our cheese room.