Author Topic: Appenzeller Style  (Read 2737 times)

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
Appenzeller Style
« on: October 20, 2017, 06:48:39 PM »
So it was the old dilemma of what cheese to make today.  I decided to try an Appenzeller style. I've never actually tasted one though.
So I researched this website: http://appenzeller.ch/en/production#a-closely-guarded-secret/756/gallery and based the make on Dixon's recipe. While I do use raw milk, it is goat's milk, so that always affects how things go when you're using a cow milk recipe. (Like the floc time turned out to be about half of what was predicted. Ugh)
My girls only eat fresh grasses (no silage) just like the moo-babies do in Appenzell. The content of the grasses affect the taste of the milk.  And since they say the cows are eating "fresh herbal grasses" and since Appenzeller is called "the spiciest cheese in Switzerland" in addition to the herbal brine wash I'll be using, I decided to infuse the milk with some "other things." 
Call me crazy, but here's what I did.  I infused 1/2 cup of water with a mix of: allspice, peppercorn, celery seed, herbs de Provence, cloves, fennel, nutmeg. Now don't get all worried--just a tiny bit of each. Still trying to decide exactly what I'll do about the brine wash, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna use a fruity white wine base.
I'll keep you posted. Obviously it WON'T be an authentic Appenzeller but maybe it will be something akin and tasty.
Wish me "buena suerte" (good luck.)
Still need to come up with a good name for it.
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
Re: Appenzeller Style
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 08:02:49 PM »
Well shoot!  I was planning to hoop it up at pH of 6.5--it was acidifying fairly slowly and then BAM--it was suddenly at 6.41.
So I hurried it to the mold. 

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 10:42:47 PM »
It's looking good.
But since I've never tasted an Appenzeller, there's no way to know it it will be anything close to the namesake.

I'm washing it in white wine brine that I infused with a spice mix that includes: Rainbow peppercorns, whole allspice, juniper berries, celery seed, herbs de Provence, whole cloves, bay leaf, and fennel.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 10:58:01 PM »
Did you grind them?
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 02:10:32 AM »
Nope, I didn't grind them.  I boiled the wine (a fruity white from Chile)  and let them steep in the hot wine until it cooled.  It is very fragrant--a fruity sweet herbaceousness.  I hope it translates to the cheese
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:01:07 PM by GortKlaatu »

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 03:00:07 PM »
Here's my Appenzeller after 1 month of washing in my wine brine spice rub.
Since I've never eaten or even seen an Appenzeller "in person," can anyone tell me if this is what it is supposed be looking like?
It's seems it will be a nice cheese no matter what--I'm just curious as to how close it's coming.
Thanks

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 06:36:31 PM »
Looks close to me!  AC4U!! ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 07:16:25 PM »
Thanks Al

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 10:16:47 PM »
Going to get vac’d today for the remaining 2-3 months

waltweissman

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 03:15:24 PM »
Your cheese looks like it is off to a great start!

What is the disk (plug?) on the surface, the one that looks blue/green on an earlier photo?

W

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 03:35:12 PM »
Thanks Walt.
Those for casein labels....you press them into the cheese during final pressing and then you can label the cheese.
https://www.cheesemaking.com/casein-labels-green.html

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 04:37:54 PM »
Well, shoot!

I'm not sure yet...but I fear I may have my first late-blower!  Of course it would be with my first Appenzeller!  (Of course, that style is notorious for having all the right conditions to allow for it.)
I was turning it today and realized there is a softer bulge just off-center--I suppose it could be the P shermanii at work, but with the timing (3 months) and higher pH I have my doubts.

Company is stopping by in a bit, so once they leave, I'll cut it open and see what's going on in there.  GRRRRrrrrr.
It was the most amazing smelling cheese I have ever made--so really disappointed. 
Keeping my fingers crossed--I'll post pics once I cut into it.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 06:35:07 PM »
Looks like late blowing to me. 
Doesn't smell terrible--kinda like a mild B linens smell-- but it sure doesn't smell nutty and sweet and spicy like it did before.
Super sad.

waltweissman

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 04:32:03 PM »
Disappointed or not, there is something appealing about that cheese.  What does it taste like?

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 11:09:00 PM »
I only sorta licked the knife after I cut it, because it's not recommended that you eat late blown cheese. (There is  misconception that you'll get botulism, but that is caused by a different species of Clostridium.)

It was nothing like a "Swiss" cheese should be...it reminded me a bit of a Raclette.