Author Topic: here are my cheeses  (Read 5962 times)

PeterNZ

Re: here are my cheeses
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 11:47:49 PM »
we have also gotten geo 13 and 17 from danisco for trials, so they do have it in the country.

Hello Francois (BTW, I tried to type your name as it is spelled correctly in capitals but get the message that using all capitals is against forum rules! ) and thank you for your reply! All very interesting! Are you located down close to Wellington? On the west coast? Where this little island is, how was the name? Ahh yes, Kapiti Island! ;-) Or is it another cheese factory?

I don't work with Danisco since they have minimum order quantities which are way out of my league as a small business. The other bg culture manufacturer doesn't sell Geo to anyone else in NZ so they told me. So they had to bring it in from Denmark. But they tell me a lot of things .....

Thank you again for your information.

Cheers

Peter

Sedona

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 12:43:31 AM »
I cracked another cheese open from the very first ones i made 2 months ago. This one is a caraway stirred-curd cheddar and i'm not so thrilled about that one, this one is a little on the dry side.
That's why i say "no master falls from the sky", lol - it sure take practice to make a good cheese.

Sedona

FRANCOIS

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 01:06:38 AM »
I don't work at the Paraparaumu plant, although we're all in the same family so to speak.  I am resonsible for their new product development and, to a lesser extent, technical assistance.

Danico sends a German down to see us occasionally, he's head of R&D for them.  Bright guy, very helpful, based in Niebuell I think.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 03:02:03 AM »
It looks quite delicious! Very nice pressing too. Maybe a tad over cooked you'll make it perfect next time!

goatherdess

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 08:58:16 PM »
That's a nice looking cheese Sedona. I really liked the pics of the collection in your cheese cave too! :)

Sedona

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 11:48:30 PM »
Debi, you think that's the problem with a little over cooked?  The next time i try to do better.  :D

Goatherdess, this one is made with 2 gal cow milk.  Thanks. My small cave i outgrew already, i purchased a bigger one 2 weeks ago. Here is the picture, a freezerless fridge.

Sedona

no master falls from the sky

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 01:10:34 AM »
I am gussing based on the fact that you had a cave and kept track of it's aging that it wasn't just dried to quickly and that it might have been over cooked. When the curds over cook or over heat they squeeze the whey out more than they should abd tis can make dry or rubbery cheeses.

I don't know what kind of milk you used but I find sometimes the fat content can make a cheee you expect to be creamy seem flat and dry in comparison but it's just lack of fat in the cheese - did that make sense?

Jon

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 05:20:11 AM »
Man you guys are too advanced from me, Feta,  Cow milk Cheddar , Goat milk cheddar is my lot but I do fancy giving the blue cheese a go as I find mostly my cheese's aren't quite pressed enough (slightly pitted) with air bubbles inside but perfect for a blue? Good to see more cheese people in good ol NZ thou.
Have either of you seen food TV on sky channel 9, 1pm Saturdays (cheese slices) its pretty good

wharris

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 04:59:25 PM »
I have tried almost everything to get a perfect curd set. That is, a pressed hard/milled cheese that is devoid of any openness, but but still has the right amount of moisture.

I have not not been able to do that even when I pressed at very high pressure. (19PSI)

Most larger cheddar producers do in fact use a vacuum during press.

So, I have resigned myself to having a slightly open curd until I can create a vacuum chamber.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 09:53:09 PM »
getting a paste devoid of holes shouldn't be that difficult.  are they mechanical openings or gas?  at my plant in the states i could make closed paste cow or goat cheeses in kadovas with no weights, although not consistently because i was using raw milk.  somtimes i'd get wild yeast at hoop up.

PeterNZ

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 10:00:34 PM »
Man you guys are too advanced from me, Feta,  Cow milk Cheddar , Goat milk cheddar is my lot but I do fancy giving the blue cheese a go as I find mostly my cheese's aren't quite pressed enough (slightly pitted) with air bubbles inside but perfect for a blue? Good to see more cheese people in good ol NZ thou.
Have either of you seen food TV on sky channel 9, 1pm Saturdays (cheese slices) its pretty good

:'( Quit Sky months ago because we can't afford (or are willing) to pay $780 a year ($65 x 12) for all the crap which is on TV here in this country! I'd rather spend $780 on cheese equipment or brewing stuff!

Is this the same as on TV: http://cheeseslices.com/ ? I have a DVD at home but it is mostly a big commercial! So I decided not to buy the other DVDs for AU$30.

Cheers

Peter

wharris

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
My cheddar openings are mechanical in nature.  Not Gas.

I am not sure what you mean when you say "paste"  but my cheddar curds at press time do not resemble a "paste"  They are rubbery individual curds.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 10:57:35 PM »
I mean the body of the cheese when it is cut, sorry, not an actual paste.  A good way to tell if they are gas produced is to inspect the hole when you cut the cheese.  If it is shiny and smooth it was most likely caused by yeast.  If it is mechanically open there is something very wrong.  Possible issues are not enough pressure (from what you describe this is not an issue), not pressing long enough, too cold during press, to dry of a room during press or too low of a pH during press.  Low pH will give you slitting in the cheese after it's matured, it will kind of fracture internally when it's cut.

I know those suggesitons are probably obvious to you but there's no reason I can think of why you should be getting mechanically open cheese from the looks of your setup.  Can you post photos of the inside of one of the cheeses (or lonk me to a post)?