Author Topic: Professional Grade Cheese Sealant  (Read 6168 times)

Jeroen B

Re: Professional Grade Cheese Sealant
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 03:46:30 PM »
Ofcourse.

There are plenty, but here are two to start with.

1-
https://www.unibrew-nederland.nl/ambachtelijk/kaas-maken/kaascoating-en-ander-hulpstoffen.html?limit=all//

2-
https://www.brouwmarkt.nl/producten/zelf-zuivel-maken/kaasmaken/kaascoating.html

The lowest price for a kilo is € 5,75 i noticed. ( $ 6,90) Thats the first one. Prices are including 21% VAT. This shop is close to where i live. Around a half hour driving.

I suppose buying it in the Netherlands would be to expensive for small amounts due to the costs of shipment. That only would be interesting with bigger amounts and skipping VAT.

You could inform by the producer of Plasticoat:

3-
https://www.in2food.nl/products/cheese-coating//

If you need whatever information let me know. I can just call them.

Jeroen

Cheese Kettle Pty Ltd

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 01:01:30 AM »
Hi Jeroen,

Great write-up. Thanks for sharing.

All the best
L

mikey687

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 11:20:47 AM »
Hi Jeroen,

thank you for all the info, it looks really interesting. How far do you find 1 kg will go? I'm typically making 3kg sized Goudas say 20cm in diameter, and waxing them, and I'd really like to try this.

I noticed the coloured ones all seem to contain the natamycin, so do you start with a transparent coating for 2-3 layers and then move to coloured?

Also, in some commercial Goudas I've bought I've noticed what looks like a thin mesh embedded in the coating. Do you know if this is how they do this, by using this coating on a bandage?

Mike

Jeroen B

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 01:13:29 PM »
Hi L,

Thanks, you are welcome.

Off topic: Nice equipment on your site. The press you make look likes a 100 year old wooden press i use.
The difference is in the arms. My press has longer arms with sliding weights.

Jeroen

edit: I discovered how to add photo's.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 02:14:10 PM by Jeroen B »

Jeroen B

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 01:56:36 PM »
Hi Mike,

You're welcome.

It depends of course on the amount and size of cheeses and the layer thickness.  :)
Normally the first few layers take a little more coating. The sponge also takes up a lot of coating. When the first layers are completely dry you can coat all the cheeses you have just with a sponge wetted once or twice with a little coating. The layers should be really thin.
With a kilo container you should be fine for months.

- I assume that you buy coating in the UK. You can get all types with and without natamicin here. I use the yellow type without normally. Sometimes red for Edammer cheese. But sure, you can use the transparant version for the first layers. Transparant coating might dry a little bit slower than the coloured versions.

-Goudse cheese is not bandaged. What you see is the imprint from the mold or cheese cloth shining through the coating. Especially with microperforated molds there is a very clear imprint.

The photo's are from Goudse cheese just after unmolding and the other one just after brining. You can see the imprint i mean.

Jeroen
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 02:08:30 PM by Jeroen B »

mikey687

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 02:34:12 PM »
Goudse cheese is not bandaged. What you see is the imprint from the mold or cheese cloth shining through the coating. Especially with microperforated molds there is a very clear imprint.

Of course! This has been bugging me for months!  ;D

I've so far found this shop in the UK which is not my usual supplier, but they only seem to have the ones with natamicin in:

http://www.gnltd.co.uk/goat-nutrition/cheese-making-products/cheese-making-waxes-coatings.html

I'm going to give them a call, otherwise, I'll get in touch with the shops you posted links to, maybe they will consider shipping across the North Sea!

Jeroen B

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 02:59:16 PM »
That would be no problem i guess. You might want to drop them a mail. If not, let me know. I can buy some and send it over. Transport costs in Europe should be quite reasonable and coating here is a lot cheaper than in the UK.

Jeroen

waltweissman

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 04:22:13 AM »
About a month ago I posted a question asking if cheese sealant (cream) might be used as a way to hold rosemary.  I did not get a reply, assuming that no one had tried it.  Anyway, I made 4 goat Alpine cheeses and over the last 6 weeks, coated them at different stages.  For the coating i use a folded up piece of paper towel (I know, not very elegant.)  So far I have used only one coat on two of them, and a touch up coat on the other two where just a tiny spot of mold showed up.  All look good, and the process was remarkably easy.  Why only one coat?  this material is supposed to breathe,  so I figure i will keep it as thin as possible and add material only when needed.

On one cheese i place a bunch of rosemary (one side at a time) and then used the paper towel to dab/dapple with the cream.  Let it dry (dries surprisingly fast) turn over and repeat.  I turn them all every couple of days and am very happy with how well the rosemary is staying on.  Here is what it looks like after just one (sort of thick) coat.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:28:56 AM by waltweissman »

AeonSam

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 10:19:40 AM »
Nice pic!

Are you using Cream Coating or Plasticoat like Jeroen? 

I know what you mean about your previous post. I'd say that I get a response to my posts 40% of the time.  :-\

waltweissman

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2018, 01:10:41 PM »
Hi AeonSam,

I think the term "cream" is a kind of generic expression, though putting on the white coating looks like cream and then dries clear.  Anyway, the brand I am using is Paracoat.  It is described by the manufacture here: https://www.paramelt.com/paracoat.aspx 

Jeroen B

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2018, 09:47:42 PM »
Hi Walt,

Nice camo cheese. This is the Plasticoat type of coating. Wondering if you are going to taste the Rosemary.
Yes you can use cheese coating to stick whatever you want on the cheese. It is almost the same stuff as the white carpenter glue and the latex paint you use on the walls. (Ok, not completely the same)
No problem to bring on more than one layer. The layer will stay permeable. With many layers the moist transport is slowed down, but not stopped.

Jeroen

mikey687

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2018, 10:07:26 PM »
I can buy some and send it over. Transport costs in Europe should be quite reasonable and coating here is a lot cheaper than in the UK.
Thanks for the offer Jeroen, that was very kind. As it happens, the UK supplier has the transparent in stock without the natamycin so I've just placed an order!

Jeroen B

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2018, 10:18:45 PM »
Mike,

Well done. You do not want this natamycin in your cheese.
Succes!

Jeroen

waltweissman

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2018, 12:53:35 AM »
Thanks Jeroen. 

I have little expectation that the rosemary will migrate into the cheese, and if at all not very far.  That said, it looks beautiful, and even smelling the cheese now, the earthy goat mixed with the rosemary is a treat while i wait out (painfully) the outcome.

AeonSam

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 09:58:12 AM »

I think the term "cream" is a kind of generic expression, though putting on the white coating looks like cream and then dries clear.  Anyway, the brand I am using is Paracoat.  It is described by the manufacture here: https://www.paramelt.com/paracoat.aspx

I see. Boofer provided a link in the beginning to cream coat so I thought that plasticoat was different.

Thanks everyone.

Sam