Author Topic: Fine Filtered Milk for Cheese Making?  (Read 2599 times)

Gerry

Fine Filtered Milk for Cheese Making?
« on: November 03, 2017, 11:22:31 PM »
I'm talking about standard pasteurized, but fine filtered milk like the Natrel brand they sell here in Canada.  I've heard it works, but wanted to confirm here.  Obviously a standard calcium chloride dose will be needed, but the local sale on this week is hard to resist.  Whole homogenized for under $4.00 Canadian per 4 liters (just over a gallon). 

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Fine Filtered Milk for Cheese Making?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 11:54:00 PM »
It has higher protein and lower sugar .

The sugar loss will effect acid curve , you are losing 6 grams sugar per cup. If the cheese comes out wrong then try add the sugar back in . 

Calcium will be the same as raw milk.

Gerry

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 02:39:00 PM »
Thanks.  Hopefully it can reach an adequate pH since I don't happen to have lactose on hand.  If the rennet does its stuff, that's half the battle!  :)

Update:  Well the rennet part worked so far, but I was getting nervous there.  At 18 minutes flocculation point wasn't reached at all, then at exactly the 20 mark: BAM!  Suddenly stuck like in wet concrete.  So I'm leaving this one go for a maximum of 50 minutes or so, but will check for a clean break at 45.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 07:00:45 PM by Gerry »

Gerry

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 02:31:43 AM »
Well it didn't work.  I was quite surprised since it reached floc so suddenly.  It just stopped there, even after waiting 2 hours - no clean break and literally no change from the second it reached floc. I cooked it up and made a lot of ricotta as an alternative to throwing the mess out.  So I learned something new:  Never use fine filtered milk (at least this Natrel brand) for cheese making.

So this morning I spent the extra 30 cents per gallon (4 liters) and bought the regular milk I always use, with exactly the expected normal results.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 04:18:08 AM »
It would be interesting to know what was happening with the ph curve . If I ever see it for sale here I will buy a little and run a test.