Author Topic: Something went wrong!  (Read 2772 times)

Ariel301

Something went wrong!
« on: July 06, 2009, 10:14:16 PM »
I made a batch of mozzarella last night. It's been working good for me most of the time now, but something funny happened with this batch. I left it in the refrigerator overnight and pulled it out this morning to stretch it (I'd usually do it all at once, but it was getting really late) When I cut into the mass of curds (which was kept in a plastic bag to keep it clean), it had little swiss-cheese type holes all through it--only it was way more holes than I've ever seen in a cheese. I tried heating a bit of it to see if it would stretch (which it did), and it wouldn't sink in the water, just floated on top. When I pushed it under with a spoon, bubbles of what I assume might be carbon dioxide (?) came out of it. It doesn't taste abnormal at all.

Any ideas what happened?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Something went wrong!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 03:02:59 AM »
Well I hate to state the obvious but it seems to have trapped air in the ball of cheese. What was the cheese like when you put it in the fridge? Was it like loose curds (mass of curds) or a blob of dough? I have never tried this but it intriges me. You may have created a new style of cheese.

clherestian

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 01:28:26 PM »
It might be contaminated.  Check out the comment at the bottom of this page of Fankhauser's site:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/Cheese98.htm#floating_curds

I remember reading somewhere that if the holes were of a regular size, they were likely produced by an unwanted bacteria.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 10:10:04 PM »
Coliform contamination.  It won't kill you but it may make you sick and it usually tastes awful.

Coliform bacteria is a wide family and some can cause "early blowing", which is rapid, excessive gas production right after the make.  I've had mold lids blown right out of presses making raw milk cheeses.  Picking crusted curd off a ceiling is not my idea of fun.

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 05:25:20 PM »
If it tastes fine (as you state), then I wouldn't worry about a coliform contamination.

Are you using raw milk to make your cheese?  If so, raw milk has living organisms in it, most of which are beneficial and will actually destroy malignant bacteria.  It does mean, though, that they will continue to grow until the cheese is heated or gets acidified to the point where they are killed off.

Ariel301

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 08:44:51 PM »
Yes, the milk is raw goat milk. It was sitting in the refigerator about three days before I used it for cheese. (In a container that was sterilized before the milk went in)

DeejayDebi-the cheese was at the blob of dough stage when I put it in the fridge overnight. I used the recipe on the main page of this recipe, and had finished the 2-3 hours of cooking the curds over a double boiler. I usually make it all at once, but I got a late start due to unexpected company coming over, and it was about 1 am by the time I got it there, so I decided to wait until morning to stretch it.

The holes were of a regular size, very small, and pretty much evenly distributed through the cheese. It looked more or less like a white, rubbery sponge.

I threw it away rather than eating it, since I didn't want to take chances.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 04:27:10 AM »
Ah sounds to me like it was not coliform contamination. That would make it taste bad or at the very least off.

I think I just answered something like this in another thread earlier.
I wish I could see a pciture it would make it easier but If you have what I thing you have - tiny little holes all over the cheese it could be one of a few posible causes - not in any way related to contamination.

I suspect in this case that developing to little acid which causes the curds to retain the whey and then they eventually expelled the whey while sitting over night leaving 1,000's of tiny little holes.

It could however be a harmless contaminate introduced if you accidently got a small amount of dirt in the milk when milking. This can cause a gassy milk which can be overcome by ripening the milk a little longer and heating more slowly.

Ariel301

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 01:58:49 AM »
I believe it may indeed have been a contamination in the milk. I made a batch of feta from the same day's milk, and it did the same thing. Cheeses I have made since are working ok again.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 03:14:23 AM »
Glad you found the culpret. Good luck!