Author Topic: Mozzarella Cheese With Goats Milk  (Read 768 times)

Eddy

Mozzarella Cheese With Goats Milk
« on: November 18, 2017, 10:04:56 AM »
Hi Guys,

Okay I've been making cheese for the last bit but I am currently have trouble with goats cheese. Can anyone give me some pointers with goats milk and mozzarella.

My current method is pasteurize the goat's milk at 30 mins at 60c (1 gallon)
The milk cools and then I add the citric acid 1 1/2 tsp and 1/8 rennet powder.
I follow the procedure to the tee, wait for the form, do the cuts, let it sit then bring the heat up slowly and do the slight stirring. All goes good until the curds break into a mush almost like it's back to a citric acid ricotta base.
So I drain the whey and put it in a cheese cloth and then take to next stage of stretch but it never ever reaches a stretch and turns to mush or breaks apart very easy.

I understand the acid ph level has to be on point and due to my certain circumstances I can't get ahold of a ph meter for cheese making so I was wondering if anyone can give me pointers here as all I got is trial and error . Do you think if after I pasteurize the milk I should let the milk sit out for 6-12 hours and then do the rennet procedure.

I tried numerous times after putting in a cheese cloth to let it sit out for 1 to 2 days in a refrigerator but I never reached the desired stretchiness and it all ends up turning into crumbly cheese.
The climate I am in is desert oasis valley, Egypt. The milk is milked raw fresh and stored in the freezer immediately till usage.

Thanks everyone in advance

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
Re: Mozzarella Cheese With Goats Milk
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 11:56:38 PM »
Hey Eddy!
I visited Egypt about 20 years ago! My favorite trip ever!

Anyway, as to goat milk.  I make all my cheese with raw goat milk. I don't pasteurize it since I know the source (my goats) and exactly what is going on with them, their health, the sanitation and the way the milk is handled. 

I can tell you that for recipes that are normally written for cow milk, that there are some definite adjustments you have to make when using goat milk--especially if it is raw.  I learned the hard way--through lots of trial and error
1) Lower the temps by 3-4 degrees F. (If it says to ripen at 88F--do it at 84F.  If it says scald at 114F--do it at 110F)
2) Decrease cultures by at least 50 %  (or use the same amount but double the quantity of milk)
3) Decrease rennet to about 40%  of what is listed in the recipe
4) Cut the curds slightly larger than recommended for cow milk (if it says 1/2 inch I do 5/8 to 3/4)
5) Handle the curds very gently, especially at first after cutting or they will lose too much whey too quickly

Besides all that, I can tell you that despite the fact that you'll hear many people say that Mozarella is an easy cheese to make--IT IS NOT.  Especially with goat milk. 
I recommend that you try something that you can eat at an early age that is straight forward and works well with goat milk...like Gouda or Buttercase.
Of course there's always fast and easy Chèvre.

I hope that helps. 
P.S.  I live in a valley too--the Orosi Valley of Costa Rica. :)
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.