Author Topic: Taleggio #8 (smooth rind)  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Taleggio #8 (smooth rind)
« on: November 19, 2017, 12:18:33 AM »
Thought I'd sneak this make in under the table.... ;)

Same recipe as before, but if you compare the square shape with the round format, the round is less subject to "spots" and foreign invaders to the rind. After all my efforts to create a smooth rind Taleggio, just using a Tomme mould instead of the traditional Taleggio mould (with the simulated straw followers) seems to do the job I was looking for.

The few rind incursions with this cheese are minor cosmetic flaws. At room temperature, the paste is soft and taffy-like which is my target characteristic. Sliceable at cave temperature and spreadable at room temperature. 8)  This recipe seems most consistent from make to make.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Taleggio #8 (smooth rind)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 08:01:04 PM »
There may be some questions about my recipe for this cheese style.

Here are details from our primary guru:
Delta pH to rennet .1 or a little less, not below 6.55
time to floc 12 mins or a little longer
multiplier 4x
Curd size, pretty big... 5-8 cm.
Drain target 6.4-6.45
Salt target 5.3

for rind and culture, pick the ones you like. make sure if you are not using a complex morge that you include a deacidifier yeast for the b linens.
I have tried to adhere to the above basics for this cheese. When I did Taleggio #6 I demonstrated in more detail how I made it. Since then, I have modified my process to remove the spruce board because it was a blue mold finder. The spruce board's role is to maintain the humidity/moisture level. If I maintain the level of moisture on the rind, then I don't need the board.

Along with the guidance from linuxboy above, the culture mix has remained constant:
2.5 gallons milk
1/8 tsp TA-61
1/8 tsp Kazu
1/32 tsp Geo13
1/32 tsp SR3
1/32 tsp KL71
1/2 tsp CACL2 (not needed if using raw milk)
1/16 tsp dry calf rennet (or whatever amount of liquid rennet you use)
Floc factor 4.

Here's another tip from a well-regarded member:
Brevibabacterium Linens can bloom without Geotrichum Candidum but they have a better chance if Geotrichum Candidum is added. The Geotrichum Candidum will not only help beat down the unwanted molds but stimulates the development the Brevibabacterium Linens. most recipe books do not mention this and it is only through the experience of the professional members here that you ge to know this fact. Give your cheese a pinch you will not regret it.

And still more detail:
From my experience, B. Linens alone will not fully ripen the paste of a cheese thats why they add mold culture to help in the ripening of the paste. Geo or P Candidum is essential if you want a fully ripen paste.

I gave additional recipe detail in my Taleggio #3. Bear in mind, 2.5 gallons is the optimal volume of milk. 3 gallons makes the cheese a little taller and more difficult for ripening to the center.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:06:06 PM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 09:06:19 PM »
I let a portion of the cheese come to room temperature and then enjoyed it with apple slices and Moist Molasses Bran Muffins. I use half molasses and half honey. I use golden raisins that have soaked in hot apple juice to soften and rehydrate them somewhat. I use coconut oil in this recipe.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:33:51 PM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 06:01:18 PM »
Looks, and sounds , delicious Boofer!!  AC4U!! :P
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 03:37:21 PM »
Beautiful results, Boofer, and great hints as well. I need to put this on my list of cheeses to try ...

AC4U!
-- Andy

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 08:06:30 AM »
Thanks for the cheeses, guys. :D

This sweet little cheese is one of four I'm packaging up as a special holiday treat for my son and his family. The other three: Taleggio #9, Esrom #5, and Fourme d'Amberg #7(when it finishes). There might even be enough maturity on the Tomme #11 to add a semi-hard cheese to the collection.

It might seem unusual to have two of the same style (Taleggio), but they managed to turn out slightly differently, partly because of the change in form factor. One was square and the other was round.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Scarlettbri12

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 14
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 10:29:57 PM »
Hi Boofer,

I'm hoping to make a taleggio and have been doing some research on taleggio recipes/scouring this site and all of your previous makes.

I have 3 questions:

1) You mention Linuxboy's guidance for curd size, but then in your previous makes you added an additional step of whisking the curds into a smaller size (1/2-3/4 in). Why was this step added in, and what does it do for your make?

2) During the pH drop to drain, how often do you stir? I would assume not very as you want more moist curds, but I guess I'm looking for a general guideline.

3) Also in your different makes you seem to have different washing schedules. Is there one you eventually ended up on being the best method?

Just hoping to pick your brain and maybe make a stinky as well as you have :)

Brianna

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 12:26:29 AM »
1) You mention Linuxboy's guidance for curd size, but then in your previous makes you added an additional step of whisking the curds into a smaller size (1/2-3/4 in). Why was this step added in, and what does it do for your make?

I guess I fall back on whisking to hazelnut-sized curds for most of the cheeses I make. Then the affinage works to develop the cheese character, paste, and rind. Washing, brushing, rubbing, misting, piercing, and Cold Phase or Warm Phase all contribute to the final product. If the cheese is a Camembert or Pont l'Eveque or some similar style, the curd size would be substantially larger, like marshmallows. If the cheese style falls into the alpine category, then the curds would be reduced to rice-sized.

2) During the pH drop to drain, how often do you stir? I would assume not very as you want more moist curds, but I guess I'm looking for a general guideline.

I do a very gentle stirring, off and on. I don't like just standing there and stirring so I put the skimmer down every so often.

3) Also in your different makes you seem to have different washing schedules. Is there one you eventually ended up on being the best method?

I try to be consistent in my washing. ::) There are some cheese styles that seem to be meant to be moist and maybe sticky from the linens and Geo, like Esrom. With most of the others, the washing goes to a point to develop the rind and set up to develop the paste. Then the washing is stopped and the rind may then be brushed to keep the rind under control. If the linens gets too overblown, then I have had success gently brushing off the sticky, orange coating under cool, running water.

I do like a drier rind that may have a light dusting of Geo.

Here is some additional background information.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!