CHEESE TYPE BOARDS (for Cheese Lovers and Cheese Makers) > RENNET COAGULATED - Hard Cheddared (Normally Stacked & Milled)

Ah... it never gets old

(1/5) > >>

OzzieCheese:
I have made quite a few cheddars over the last few years and something happened yesterday that I though worth mentioning. It a small insight on 'traditional' cheese making where you always wonder how they do it with only the 5 basic human senses. Touch, Sight, sound, smell and taste all play a part. you have to watch what the curds are doing, touch for temperature and texture, sound when the timer goes off, smell when the curd starts exuding that vinegary smell as the pH drops and taste during the maturing phase. 

The one that struck me yesterday was that of smell. Without even looking at the pH meter during the stirring phase it was evident that the pH had changed just from the smell.  I wondered just how often that had happened in the past and never though about it.  I went from the stirring stage and into the Cheddaring phase without worrying too much - just for interest sake measured the curds once I poured the curds into the colander - 6.34.  I was happy with that.  And again during the Cheddaring - not wanting to over acidify checked it after 1 hour and it was 5.37 - so not quite.  But it was striking how definitely different the smell from start to finish was.

For those following my Cheddar makes - sorry, I had a battery failure after the first and didn't find the charger until well after the cheese went into the press.

-- Mal

jhend:
Very interesting OzzieCheese. I have always been acutely aware of the aroma changes during the make. The smell of the warm milk and my favorite is during the ripening stage very sweet and buttery.  Ya I know I'm weird.

Al Lewis:
I have one of your cheddars in the cave right now aging.  I did use anatto coloring in mine though.

OzzieCheese:
Awesome.  I like annatto colouring, it just makes it look cheddarish.  I have a 2 year one of Christmas... the last one :(

I hope you all have a wonderful festive season.

-- Mal

Al Lewis:
Just did an English Cheddar today Mal.  Still in the press. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version