Author Topic: Fresh Jalepeños in pepper jack cheese  (Read 2224 times)

retiredtrucker

Fresh Jalepeños in pepper jack cheese
« on: November 19, 2017, 03:03:40 PM »
I am going to make a pepper jack cheese,8 liters, and want to use fresh jalepeños. Question is do I need to precook the peppers or blanch them or just cut them up and put them in?

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
Re: Fresh Jalepeños in pepper jack cheese
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 06:08:12 PM »
HEY!
We live in the Orosi Valley outside Cartago!
Also have some friends in San Isidro area! 
Welcome to the Forum.

As to your question, the fresh jalapeños aren't a good choice for long aged cheese because there is nothing that is preserving them and they can become a focus for unwanted mold and bacteria.  (In something like a fresh cheese--chevre or even Queso Turrialba (did I even  just mention that? LOL--they are fine.)
So it's better to use something dried like a chipotle.  I have used pickled peppers in cheeses that were eaten young with no problem.
If you choose to use fresh peppers, it is generally recommend that you blanch them to kill any unwanted "bugs."

How long have you been in CR?
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

retiredtrucker

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 06:39:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply and mucho gusto. We've been here 3 1/2 years and loven it. We live about 10 k west of San Isidro del General in a small community called Pacuarito, absolutely wonderful place, weather is perfect, people are awesome, very tranquil.
 I had planned on blanching the peppers but I won't age this very long maybe only 1 month. Made this before with out the peppers and 2 months was too much. Also won't age in wax (very hard to get and shipping is a killer) ,probably use vegetable lard and cheese cloth.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
Sent you a Private Message

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.