Author Topic: Using room humidifier in converted freezer "cave"  (Read 1157 times)

endazzle

Using room humidifier in converted freezer "cave"
« on: November 22, 2017, 04:30:45 AM »
Does anyone have any experience using a room size humidifier in a freezer/cave?  There are a number out there that seem to be suitable in size and function (they hold about a gallon of water).  The price on some are less than the component parts of a home built ultrasonic system that several have used in this forum.  A couple have humidity sensors that supposedly turn them on and off to keep the set level, but I expect to still use a sensor and controller. Most will turn off automatically if they run out of water.

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 35
  • Default personal text
Re: Using room humidifier in converted freezer "cave"
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 10:15:04 PM »
I use mine in my cheesecave. We had it for our kid’s room but was rarely used. I have it hooked into my humidity controller. I’ve used mine over a year now no issues. I say go for it!! Oh hey I added a photo of mine in my cave. Yes it’s a frog ribbit

Mike
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 10:26:55 PM by nccheesemike »

endazzle

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 02:53:40 AM »
Thanks.  I thought it might work just fine.  I use mini ultrasonic "doughnuts" that connect to a USB charger in the several mini wine coolers that now act as my "cave" collection.  Connected to a controller, these have worked well.  However, now having discovered the absolute wonder of properly aged cheese, it seems I am outgrowing their capacity rapidly and need larger space.

endazzle

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 02:55:39 AM »
Forgot to mention your cheeses look great.  I assume the plastic containers at the bottom hold cheeses which might "share" something your hard cheeses won't appreciate.

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 35
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 12:52:33 PM »
Forgot to mention your cheeses look great.  I assume the plastic containers at the bottom hold cheeses which might "share" something your hard cheeses won't appreciate.

Thank you! The plastic containers I use for my Bloomy Rind Cheeses. I’ve made Camembert and Camblu Cheeses using those boxes. So yes don’t need those to contribute to my hard cheeses above.