Author Topic: First Taleggios  (Read 1362 times)

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
First Taleggios
« on: November 23, 2017, 02:24:57 AM »
Well if making everything for Thanksgiving tomorrow wasn't enough, timing of milk production forced me into making cheese today too. (I had 6 gallons of milk, so I gave 2 gallons away to a fellow cheesemaker, used 2 1/2 for my cheese and the rest for cooking.

Since I had previously worked out a recipe for Taleggio (using a combo of Peter Dixon's, Joe Volluto's and Boofer's recipes and adjusting for raw goat milk)
I decided to go for it.

2 1/2 gallons of raw goat milk gave me two cheese (due to the low profile needed) A 1 1/2 pound cheese and a 2 pound cheese.  They are in the brine now.

Keep your fingers crossed--I've never had good success getting this type of cheese to go gooey. (I think it's the goat milk.)

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

timsumrall

Re: First Taleggios
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 02:16:08 PM »
My fingers are crossed for a pic  8)

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 02:10:46 AM »
I wanted to wait a few weeks longer, but you know how it is. 
We had unexpected company.  They mentioned they loved Taleggio.  So I cracked this one open at 5 1/2 weeks of age.

It was super yummy and tasted exactly like a Taleggio should.  It was mellow and creamy with a buttery sweetness that wasn't sweet (if that makes any sense.). There was a faint yeasty hint at the beginning and an almost fruity note at the finish.  I like mine a bit "gooey-er" but my friends said this was exactly how they always bought their Taleggio in Germany, so they were very happy.
So was I.  This is definitely my "finished" recipe (no changes to future makes.)

I'll post pics when we're able to do that again.

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 12:41:05 AM »
So here is my first Taleggio. Gonna be making this one again soon.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 07:53:39 PM »
Looking good, Gort. Congrats and have a cheese.

Looks like this one could have reached optimal in the cold fridge for a couple weeks longer. Tsk, tsk...pushy cheese eaters! ::)

You can never have too much Taleggio. Excellent cheese style. Yum!  :P :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

kayaknell

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 09:37:33 PM »
while its show and tell I would like to share a pic of my first Taleggio. I thought it was ripening too soon because it got runny under the rind early. Then it firmed up and was seemingly stable, if that makes sense. Then it got super aromatic, really stinky, but in a good way. I gave some away to friends and ate the rest. It sure does not last long.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 11:12:15 PM »
Thanks Boofer!  I know, right!  I was planning to crack it open at 8 weeks--I think it would have been what I consider optimal as far as "goo-factor"
I guess I'll just have to make some more so we can find out.  LOL>

Congrats Kayaknell

kayaknell

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 11:38:44 PM »
Thanks it was only my second cheese.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 03:05:22 AM »
A washed rind cheese as your second cheese?
I'll give AC4U for sheer chutzpah!  ;)

kayaknell

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 05:50:33 AM »
Thank you. I will definitely be making this style again soon. It inspires me to try a Port Salut, or a Muenster in the Alsatian tradition.