Author Topic: Which one?  (Read 987 times)

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
Which one?
« on: November 26, 2017, 07:37:47 PM »
Which is your favorite blue culture-- PA, PS, PV, PJ, other?--and why?
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Which one?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 08:08:43 AM »
If you want your blue to turn up quick then use the liquid.  Otherwise you'll wait 5 days.  I use both.  Also depends on what blue you are making. http://www.cheeseconnection.net/product-category/cheese-cultures/white-and-blue-mold/penicillium-roqueforti/  Do you have something against doing research?
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 02:32:49 PM »
LOL
I have done a ton a research. And I make a ton of blue cheeses. And I've used all of the aforementioned blue cultures (though I've never used the liquids.). BTW, here in the tropics, I almost always have the blue start to say hello on day 2 or 3.

Al, it seems that you are thinking that I'm asking out of ignorance.  I'm asking for opinion--a curiosity as to other folks' experiences.  Much like you might ask someone, "What's your favorite cheese, and why?"
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 03:26:02 PM »
I've only ever used PS. I'd be interested in trying others ... but I don't make blues very often, and so far I haven't run out of the original package that I bought!
-- Andy

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 05:15:24 PM »
Thanks Andy

Because I use raw goat milk for almost all my cheeses, they resultant cheeses often react differently than their cow milk cousin-cheese. For me, I found PS and PV to be the most useful...PV when I want a creamier consistency (due to it's higher proteolytic activity) and PS when I want a milder flavor in a firmer cheese (due to its lower lipolytic activity.)
Personally I don't care for the almost hard, dry feel of the blue veins that come with PA

cheezyn00b

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 05:38:51 PM »
Wow!! This seems like the best thread to ask my question! At least, I hope it is. I surely wouldn't want to make some people upset, you know...

I'm trying to screw up the courage to start a bleu, but I would like a better understanding of what outcomes depend on which variables. Also, in my near-total ignorance, I'm a little confused as to all the suffixes found when searching for various types of mold cultures. PA, PV, PR, etc. There are so many of them commercially available, and I'd like to try to start out making bleu with as much chance for success for what I'm hoping for as I can.

I once read, many months ago, a website that explained in fairly simple detail, exactly what results came from which sub-type of mold. Something along the lines of PA creates X-sharpness with N color veining, PV creates Y-mildness with N1 color veining, etc. I know that some bleus are more mild, some are a bit more sharpish/piquant, and I know there are many variations between the coloring of the veining ranging from greenish ones to really blue ones. And all of this is dependent on the molds, if I'm interpreting what I am reading. And, if I am remembering it correctly...  ???

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations, or ideas which page/article/website it might have been that describes which mold sub-types create which results? I've searched through my history, bookmarks, and various search engines for several days, and simply cannot find the bloody thing again! Frustrating to say the least!

Any suggestions?

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 07:30:28 PM »
Here's a little information from the cheese maker
PV strain:  Very fast growing blue culture with strong tolerance to salt. Used to make Blue cheese including Danablu, Roquefort and strong Gorgonzola. Characteristic properties are the very piquant aroma and a very good creamy consistency. The 2.5 dose packet will make approximately 300 4 in.(11cm) Blue cheeses. Use 1/32nd-1/16th tsp.(.14g-.07g) for 1-5 gal.(3.75liters-19 liters) of milk. You will also need to use Mesophilic Starter and Rennet.

PA Strain: Medium-fast growing blue culture used to make a milder Blue cheese including Roquefort. Characteristic properties are the very piquant aroma and a slighty tough consistency, longer shelf life; excellent for hard blue cheese. The 2.5 packet will make approximately 300 4 in.(11cm) Blue cheeses. Use 1/32nd-1/16th tsp.(.14g-.07g) for 1-5 gal.(3.75liters-19 liters) of milk. You will also need to use either Mesophilic or Thermophilic Starter and Rennet.

PS Strain: Medium-fast growth rate, a mild blue taste. Use this strain to make mild blues with that blue-green color. Can be used along with Penicillium Candidum(HP6 reommended).
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

cheezyn00b

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 11:33:17 PM »
Hey, that's some amazing information! It's awfully close to that which I was referring in my post. The article/web page I was thinking of was close to a whole page though. It does give me a good starting point, and for that, I thank you!!