Author Topic: Brie glued to the sushi mat  (Read 1120 times)

falinna

Brie glued to the sushi mat
« on: November 26, 2017, 09:22:49 PM »
Your advice please : after my brie cheeses dried for 24 hours, I put them in the cheese cave as usual. But I was  away for a few days, and was not at home to flip the brie daily for the first days... Brie was glued to the sushi mat, broke the surface. Anything I can do to make sure it ages correctly? Thanks!

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Brie glued to the sushi mat
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 06:10:35 AM »
It should heal back over  if it is young still ,  some times the mold grows back other times not .   

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 07:58:27 AM »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

falinna

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 04:28:32 AM »
Thank you Gregore. Fingers crossed... It is still young and it seems like of them has its pretty white coating growing back again!

Al Lewis : I have never had any problem with sushi mats. I simply failed to take a good care of the bries while they were at their first days of life :) thank you for your reply.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 05:33:07 PM »
Just having a bit of fun as I just had one do the same thing.  I Flip mine every day when they are on the mats.  If it feels like they may stick I turn the entire thing over onto another mat, like a cheese sandwich with the mats on the outside. and I roll the mat that was sticking very carefully off of the cheese.  Just start at one end and roll it up tightly.  This will usually allow the mat to separate from the cheese without pulling off the PC.  BTW Once mine have developed a coat of PC I also place them onto a glass cutting board, I know you never cut on glass, of which I have 6 that I used as shelves in a previous cave.  One side is very smooth and the other side textured.  Thats the side I sit the cheeses on.

falinna

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 03:23:25 AM »
Good to know Al, thank you, I will keep that in mind if I ever cross the problem again :) the bries now seem to recover. I had another issue tonight, this time with molds who loved my asiago too much... Maybe cross-contamination with my bleu d'auvergne... Kept me busy and learning something new.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 06:16:41 AM »
Blue mold is probably the most invasive of the molds and seems to spread to everything. I take great measures to isolate it from the rest of my cheeses.

curiouser_alice

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 03:39:21 AM »
I just had to unstick my Brie from waxed paper!  Will turn it every day instead of every other day now.

falinna

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 02:13:16 AM »
Yes, every day sounds better. It is also my new rule from now on :) and since specialty wrapping paper is expensive :( a couple of weeks ago I wrapped camembert in waxed paper lined with parchment paper, but as it has been eaten in a matter of hours I can't tell if the paper got stuck to the cheese.