Author Topic: Personal Humidifier  (Read 4301 times)

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
Personal Humidifier
« on: November 27, 2017, 02:32:42 AM »
I was wanting to connect a small, personal humidifier to a WH1436 controller.
BUT I found that many of the small humidifiers don't come back on once the power has been cut.
Does anyone have a recommendation for one that has a simple on/off switch so that it will start again every time the power is restarted?
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

smcaro@gmail.com

Re: Personal Humidifier
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 06:49:48 AM »
I use a standard one to which you attach a plastic bottle of drinking water. I just make sure it is on, and place it at its maximum setting. When the meter turns on, it simply works. I would send pictures but it really is the simplest one on sale anywhere.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 08:11:31 AM »
I use a standard one to which you attach a plastic bottle of drinking water. I just make sure it is on, and place it at its maximum setting. When the meter turns on, it simply works. I would send pictures but it really is the simplest one on sale anywhere.

Post pictures anyway please. :o
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 02:25:46 PM »
Thanks Al--I agree.
Because many of the "simplest" ones do not restart once power has been cut--I know because I've been through two of them already.

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

smcaro@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 04:34:13 PM »
Here they go. I buy them in all sorts of formats and prices. They tend to list a short while because the connectors get rusted. But the ones with knobs do the job. That is, the external meter disconnects the flow and it stops. When the flow comes back, it goes on from the same place.

Having said this I only make cheese in two personal dairies:
1.- Hong Kong. Humidity levels are achieved by opening the wine caves for a couple of minutes and the 90% existent exterior humidity rushes in.
2.- Spain: I only use these humidifiers while I am over there on home leave. Then I disconnect the humidifier, leave only the external thermostat, and vac pack all the cheese. 6-8 months later when I return, results are excellent.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 04:44:30 PM »
Thank you! ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 05:05:04 PM »
Thanks smcaro.
Can you tell me specifically which ones of these you've used successfully?
I ask because I have used a couple of these and they did not come back on when the power was restarted--had to physically push the start button on the humidifier again--that's what I want to avoid.
Thanks again for the help.

P.S.  I'm glad to hear your ambient humidity helps you in Hong Kong. The humidity here in Costa Rica (especially now in the rainy season) is running very high--90%, but it's not enough to keep the humidity up in the wine cooler caves--I have to fight to keep it around 75%

Offline Scarlettbri12

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 14
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 05:45:07 PM »
Fwiw, I use a mini atomizer:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P91ZFPA?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

All I do is plop it in a cup of water (or a shallow pan) and it'll turn on when my humidity controller asks it to. There is no on/off switch, which is something I specifically looked for. If you're trying to find something for a larger cave, you may need more than one or something else, as I have a mini fridge as my "cave".

Hope this helps!

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 07:33:11 PM »
Thanks a million Scarlettbri12!
That looks like it will fill the bill nicely.  Ordering it now.

Offline stephmtl222

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 08:06:32 PM »
Same thing here. Very hard to have more than ~75% humidity without a humidifier.
I have used this one. It lasted and did a good job for almost 2 years. I had to clean it every once in a while. I paid more than what this one. smcaro, can you let me know what is your source ?
It's turn on/off without problem with a humidity controler. 

I had to replace it with anything I can find in a store here the last time I decided to try a very deep cleaning but the humidifier didn't recover.  :P

I also got a very small one that I saw in a cheese cave from a member. Haven't tested it yet.

Offline Scarlettbri12

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 08:18:08 PM »
You're very welcome! Just glad to help :)

curiouser_alice

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 04:06:05 PM »
How does that atomizer work?  I can't keep my humidity high enough - it just sits around 75%.  I have the salt and water in there but cannot get it higher.

Offline Scarlettbri12

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 05:59:59 PM »
You put it in a shallow cup/pan of water level about 1-2 inches higher than the unit, and it will continuously spit out tiny droplets of water into the air. The one I posted the link for is normally used in ponds for the "mist" effect. This one works very well if you set it up with a humidity controller, or you could set it on a timer to turn on then off so many times per day if you figure out what timing gets you to the correct humidity.

Another idea (if you don't want to buy the above) would be to get a wide pan of water rather than a bowl. The larger the surface area of water to air, the more evaporation. Adding a paper towel/cloth folded so that it sticks out of the water (as a wicking agent) helps as well. Just make sure the paper towel/cloth isn't sticking outside of your container of water, or it'll wick all of the water right out! This is also harder to do when you don't have the space, like me. I've only got my small mini fridge as my cave :)

And lastly, if your cave is hitting 75% regularly you can always use minicaves! From my experience, if your cave is 70-80%, your minicave will be 90-95% depending on the moisture content of the cheese inside it. You can always double up with water bowls and put one inside the minicave as well to up its humidity!

Hope this info helps!

curiouser_alice

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 10:01:58 PM »
Thank you!  I'll try it.

krausenhaus

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 10:37:10 AM »
Just found this one that doesn't appear to need restarting every time the power is cut.  Have ordered and will give it a go.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/273049873930