Author Topic: Project Tomme  (Read 961 times)

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
Project Tomme
« on: November 27, 2017, 11:19:19 PM »
Usually I just make whatever cheese suits my whim on whatever days I have collected enough milk.
It's always been fun and there's always a big variety of stuff around.
However, I've decided to change strategies.

I usually make cheese at least twice a week--sometimes thrice.
So once a week I'm going to make one of our proven favorites.
The second time will always be a Tomme --and I'll be comparing the different Tommes as I play with different cultures, and/or adjuncts and to wash curd or not.
On the weeks I have a third make, that's when I'll allow myself some wild free choice.

Planning on doing this for the next 3 months or so while my milk supply should maintain its current levels.

How does everyone else decide on what they're going to make?

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline millenof6

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
Re: Project Tomme
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 12:31:11 AM »
I have to keep my family in our four staples (Hot chili Gouda, Dill Havarti, Fontina, and Raclette).  So as long as I have a supply of that I get free range to explore.  I have a great love of alpine cheeses, so my attention seems to drift that way when I have an opportunity to make whatever I want.  I don't have nearly as much milk or time to make cheese as I would like.  So staples are 80% of the time.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 01:16:48 AM »
Thanks Millenof6
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline Scarlettbri12

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 14
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 03:23:56 AM »
Lately, I've been making cheeses that will be ripe right around christmas (gifts!). I'm still relatively new to cheesemaking, only seriously making it since ~june/july, and only making the aged variety since august. I'm very excited to start trying anything on a whim though! I don't have a cow or goat, but I do have access to raw milk of each.

I'm more trying to learn as much as I can so that I can get to the point of being able to make whatever I'd like on a whim. I don't have staples yet, but some of my favorites are getting close to them!