Author Topic: Intermittent Vacuum Sealing?  (Read 1241 times)

waltweissman

Intermittent Vacuum Sealing?
« on: November 29, 2017, 03:52:15 PM »
I’m posting this here in the hopes of getting broader consideration.

I know the pro and con issues of vacuum sealing/aging and I wonder if some of the negatives could be overcome by vacuum sealing and then  opening and re-bagging on a schedule, say  every couple of weeks or once a month and let the cheese 'breathe' for a day in the 'cave'?  I would think that letting them out to play for a day or so every few weeks might also reduce ammonia build up and allow some oxegen exchange to enhance flavor.

What do you think?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Intermittent Vacuum Sealing?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 04:13:14 PM »
Typically any cheese that will be waxed or vacuum sealed, btw they serve the same purpose, will have gassed out before sealing.  I do both but have, on occasion, opened and re-sealed a vacuum bagged cheese.  If the rind has formed properly it should be fine without airing it.  Once waxed or sealed the humidity doesn't some into play.  You simply have to store them at the proper temperature.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

waltweissman

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 04:24:58 PM »
Al, how long do you wait before vacuum packing your cheese.  I am doing an Alpine style goat, and plan to age 6 months.  Now only 3 days out of press.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 04:51:53 PM »
It depends on the cheese.  I don't vacuum pack until it's dry enough to go into the cave.  If it needs to form a rind then I wait for that.  It will not form a rind after being vacuum packed.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 07:44:02 PM »
I agree with Al. I generally wait a couple of weeks or so, sometimes longer depending on the type of cheese. E.g., swiss-style cheeses dont' get bagged until  after the swelling phase; blues don't get bagged until I am ready for the blue to stop developing (~12 weeks); etc.

Some cheeses never get bagged, e.g., camembert / brie / other bloomies. Same would be true of stinkies, though I have yet to make one. These often are wrapped in special paper that retains humidity but allows gas exchange, thus allowing the mold/bacteria to continue to live. A vac-bag would kill off the bacteria/mold, stopping the development of the cheese.
-- Andy

waltweissman

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 07:59:46 PM »
Thanks Andy.