Author Topic: Raw Jersey Milk--what to make?  (Read 1487 times)

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
Raw Jersey Milk--what to make?
« on: December 03, 2017, 02:14:19 PM »
I'm getting 10 gallons of raw Jersey milk today (I've got 4 gallons of raw goat on hand, too)
I'm going to use 1 gallon of the full fat Jersey milk to make Camembert.  That leaves me 9 gallons.
I can only make a 6 gallon batch at a time due to the size of my pot.  So I pretty sure I'm gonna make a 3 gallon batch of blue cheese.
That will leave me with a 6 gallon quantity.

I don't want to squander this opportunity, so here's the question:  If you had 6 gallons of full fat raw Jersey milk, straight from the udder to the pot, what cheese would you choose to make?
I'm starting with the Cam and the Blue, so I'll have time to see your suggestions before I have to decide what to do with the 6 gallons later today.

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Raw Jersey Milk--what to make?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 12:02:15 AM »
Wow, no responses. ::) ???

That question has come up before several times. Here's one, and another. If I had that milk I might challenge myself again.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 12:39:56 AM »
Thanks Boofer
I'm gonna do some blues....Trying to decide between a buttermilk blue and a Stilton
I think a Tomme with some
And a Brie

Plus I've got do something with the 6 gallons of goat milk I'll have by tomorrow morning.  Thinking Pont l'Eveque  and another one of my "Rat Trap #5" cheeses with the goat milk
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

mikey687

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 01:18:57 PM »
Sorry, probably too late.

I only use raw Jersey milk from a local farm so have tried a few different cheeses with it.

I'm currently making Gouda's and Cheddars at the moment (no need to add Annatto to the Gouda as the cheeses are naturally a lovely yellow). But if it was a special occassion I'd be trying to go the route of stiltons and high cream blues - but it sounds like you've got that covered.

I can't tell you how the Gouda's and Cheddars end up tasting as they've only just been made but I'm hoping for special.  :)

The best thing about the milk though is the yields and the ease of making, hope you had fun.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 02:36:10 PM »
Thanks Mikey
I did make a creamy blue--my own twist, but Stilton based.

AnnDee

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 03:13:27 PM »
Reblochon!

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 03:39:57 PM »
I thought about that.  I think I will definitely have to make a Reblochon the next time I get some cow milk.  This time, is all gone.  I made cheese 4 out of the past 5 days.
Today and tomorrow are days for other activities, but Friday will be a cheese day again.