Author Topic: Issues with first time cheese making  (Read 1353 times)

Budman93

Issues with first time cheese making
« on: December 05, 2017, 12:58:23 AM »
So probably like everyone else, I tried making mozzarella for the first time tonight. Everything seemed to be going very well but then it fell apart at the end. Here is my process.

1. I used 1 gallon of Aldi's 2% milk with about 1/2 pint of cream added.
2. I dissolved 1.5 teaspoons of citric acid in half a cup of water and added it to the milk
3. Gently heated to 90° F and removed from heat
4. Added 1/3 of a tablet of rennet dissolved in 1/4 cup water
5. stirred for 30 seconds and then let stand for 10 minutes.

At this point it had set enough that I was able to cut the curds into chunks. Continuing with the recipe I was using I put it back on the heat.

6. Heated it to 105° F and removed from heat.
7. removed curds from whey and drained in a strainer

At this point it was forming a nice cheese like clump and everything seemed to be going well.

I then heated some water to about 185° F and dipped the curds to heat to an internal temp of 135° F. I didn't have a fine mesh strainer and there was some loss through the over large holes of the strainer, but it still seemed to be going well, it was melting on the edges and getting stringy like melting mozzarella. I was trying to get it to 135° before stretching but then all of a sudden it just turned to liquid and at the end I was left with something like runny ricotta.

What did I do wrong?

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
Re: Issues with first time cheese making
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 02:19:38 AM »
Sorry to hear that.
But if it's any consolation, I need to tell you that despite the common misperception, Mozarella is NOT an easy, nor a beginner cheese.
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 06:18:25 AM »
Sounds like an acidity problem. Increase the citric acid by another teaspoon or less.

Also additional half pint of cream might be changing the requirements

Dedicated to trying

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 02:23:18 AM »
Greetings,
Sounds kind some of my failures - and mine were acid related. Personally I increased my acid a bit and it went from mush to barely stretchy-breaking-ish. I increased a bit more the second time and perfect. BUT using more acid AND letting it sit overnight... nooooooo back to mush again
Could be something else but I agree with Gurkan, play with it. (I started at 1.5 tsp and stopped at 3tsp per 6 lts of milk)
Here is more or less what the curds should look like after cutting and setting for a hour (poured off whey to heat it). Notice the squares round but the pieces stay intact. Hopefully that helps you know what to aim for
-Dedicated

AeonSam

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »
Budman,

If you were using pasteurized milk - I believe Calcium Chloride needs to be added to re-fortify the milk as well.

Sam

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 10:18:39 PM »
Hi,  Sorry for the late response.  Also noticed that you used milk from Aldi...  I tried using Aldi milk here in Australia. The thing is that Aldi source local where possible but... they specify how it is processed.  Unfortunately, Aldi over heat treat their milk to the point that it is not very good at all to make cheese with.  Tried a Cheddar -  and I've made a few -  and even after using Calcium Chloride I didn't get a decent curd set at all. The curds cooked ok but the yield was so low that 10 litres only gave less than 750 gms (almost 35% less than I normally get). 
I usually source my milk from a better supplier and there is a reason the milk is dearer :)  Lesson learnt.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !