Author Topic: Hello, greeting and intro  (Read 560 times)

kayaknell

Hello, greeting and intro
« on: December 08, 2017, 10:00:07 PM »
Hi,
I am a new member and new to cheese making. I am in Baltimore for the time being, and used to live in the Pacific NW. So I used to brew beer and now the "ambrosia" to go with that "nectar". And what have I done.... well, I started off with two of the more "advanced" styles for my first time. Crazy, right? First cheese a 5 gal batch of whole cream line milk from local dairy, pasture raised Jerseys to do a Bleu d' Auvergne.
My second cheese is a 2.5 gal batch of store bought whole milk, for a Tallegio!
They seem to have turned out as best they should. The blue should have weighed 6.5 lbs but I lost at least a pound of curd when making and forming. The Taleggio is nice, but I had to scramble to find enough molds to fill so I actually use a wicker bread basket as one.
Long story short, I started this all just the last week of this past October, and this evening December 12.
All seems to be going well. Nice amount of P. Roqueforti on blue, and nice rosy/orange B. Linens on the small 4 and 1 large "basket" taleggios. I did just have a bit of unwanted mold on the "stinkers" but I got at it early.
Question. When do I wrap? Especially the d'Auvergne since I do not want a hard rine? Thanks in advance

kayjay

Re: Hello, greeting and intro
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 09:30:58 PM »
Good for you!  You like a challenge.  I am a newbie here as well from the North East, Long Island, NY.  Just started my first batch and already failed at getting a clean break. My mistake. Didn't dilute the Rennet before adding it.  Oh Well. Off to get more milk and try again.

Welcome.
Your cheeses sound delicious.  I am doing a Jack cheese.

kayaknell

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 01:26:30 PM »
thanks, I have been learning a lot. So far since my start with the Bleu d'Auvergne and the Tallegio I have done several other styles. I am also currently aging a Gouda, an Italian one called Piacinu Ennese (Saffron and Black Pepercorn) with cow's milk instead of sheep, and a Camembert. And for the New Year, some baby Edammers. I know I did something wrong with the Cams because while I have beautiful white Penicilium Candidum, they just don't feel right. I am not sure they will be moist enough to properly ripen. I hope to post some pics but I see we have been having problems with the site.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 10:54:16 PM »
Welcome on board!
It sounds like you have some interesting cheeses under way there.
Don't give up on the Camembert yet. It may just need a little longer to mature. I leave mine for around seven weeks at about 8C.
- Andrew