Author Topic: Gouda # "a whole lot"  (Read 882 times)

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
Gouda # "a whole lot"
« on: December 17, 2017, 05:44:44 PM »
I have company for the holidays.  And there are 7 folks coming by this afternoon for wine and cheese. Not the best time for a cheese making day.
But I had 7 gallons of milk that I needed to use....so I decided a Gouda would be fast and easy.
So here I am in the middle of a Gouda.
I'm planning to use 5 gallons for a long aged Gouda--a year---never have managed to keep one past 6 months. LOL
And 2 gallons for a small one for tasting sooner.
My current recipe has been really good, but I couldn't help but "monkey" with my cultures this time, searching for a slightly different result.
More later

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
Re: Gouda # "a whole lot"
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 01:16:33 AM »
Couldn't post these pictures during the photo "blackout."  So here they are now.
I vac-packed the small 2 pounder to have in a couple of months.
The 5.5 pounder will age with a natural rind for a year--I hope.
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

curiouser_alice

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 10:58:23 PM »
very nice looking cheese.  I haven't made a Gouda yet.  Let us know how it tastes!

panamamike

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 01:07:22 AM »
Nice! Let us know how it tastes.
What did you use for cultures?  I have two of the 8LB molds so I can press two at once as soon as I get a pot big enough and a stove I can cut down.
AC4U

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 02:28:19 AM »
Thanks Alice and Mike

I used Kazu, and a small bit of MD88 and FLAV 54

We'll break into the small one next month, but the big one, I'm planning to wait at least 6 months (I hope I can wait out a year)