Author Topic: first st-paulin orange spots  (Read 1620 times)

falinna

first st-paulin orange spots
« on: December 17, 2017, 08:42:39 PM »
Hello! Trying a St-Paulin style for the first time (I say "style" because it does not look like a st-paulin :)

I thought B Linens would color the cheese evenly and gradually, but is it the way the bacteria is supposed to spread, I mean starting with orange spots? Should I be worried or just stick with the plan and see how it goes? I've also got pale black stains that washed away quite easily so it did not worry me but maybe it should have.

I'm new at this and I have a hard time recognizing what is a bad color if it appears. So far I have been very lucky with other cheeses.

Merci en avance pour vos conseils!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: first st-paulin orange spots
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 09:10:12 PM »
They will spread.  B Linens don't show up with roqueforti.  They will cover the entire cheese eventually.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

jhend

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 01:18:00 AM »
Did you do a brine wash with b linens? Develop a smear coat by using a 3% salt solution with a pinch of B linen.

Wash twice a week for first 2 weeks and once a week for the following 6 weeks.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 01:23:31 AM by jhend »

falinna

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 12:35:55 AM »
I did, preparing the brine with B. linens the night before to let it develop. The recipe I followed asked for only 1 wash with b linens, the other times with brine only. I decided to wash a second time, thinking it could help B Linens to win over other bacterias. It got better, but not enough. So I will follow your advice and wash 2 more times with B Linens.. Then once a week. Thank you!

jhend

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 04:06:36 PM »
Let me know how it turns out.

John

falinna

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 04:41:44 AM »
Let me know how it turns out.

John

Turned out bad, always having a hard time wiping molds of the st-Paulins I had to leave home for a few days during the hollidays and on my return it was obvious that the cheeses had been partying with more unwanted moulds, especially blue, smelled like the blue you find on moldy bread. Decided to discard them. Got back on track thoroughly cleaning the cheese cave, making parmesan, three bries and feta for consolation, but this time I will be home to take care of them :)