Author Topic: Another Raw Milk Question  (Read 1801 times)

AeonSam

Another Raw Milk Question
« on: December 25, 2017, 03:01:59 AM »
Hello All,

I've recently started using Raw Milk and I would say that it handles better than any other milk that I work with EXCEPT that I can't seem to get a smooth knit like I could with the same conditions - using lightly pasteurized and non-homogenized milk.

It's a very moist cheese and I've experimented with curd size and pressing weight with the same problem.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Sam

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Another Raw Milk Question
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 05:13:26 AM »
Are you using ph or timed recipe?

What kind of cheese ?

I would expect a timed recipe to be off , usually really fresh raw milk has more ability to Buffer  ph changes .

AeonSam

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 01:51:06 PM »
That's interesting because I am noticing a big difference in the speed that the pH drops at the end.

It's buttercheese and all I have is the pre-brining pH marker. I'm not sure where I would find all of the markers that I need to hit. The rest of the recipe is timed.

Sam

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 05:06:43 AM »
Most cheeses are about  6.2  or so when hooping.   if you  do it way too soon then  the curd will not knife together as well . 

If you have a ph meter you should be able to time a difference to that point  between raw and heated .

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 12:58:01 AM »
Raw milk needs far less culture (and rennet) than pasteurized. If you don't cut the culture in the recipe by at least 40% (in other words, using only 60% of recommended amount) you'll find acidification getting away from you.  (I've found with the raw milk from my "girls" I need to only USE about 40% of the recommended amount in a recipe. Otherwise, floc times are WAY too short and the acidification curve is way off.

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

AeonSam

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 05:14:33 PM »
Thanks. I was surprised. I normally hit my goal pH within 4 to 8 hours and I went beyond it in 20 minutes. Crazy!

Sam

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 06:56:21 AM »
What ph did it drop to  in 20 Minutes ? 

AeonSam

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 02:19:56 AM »
5.1  I normally brine at 5.3 -5.4 and it takes awhile. This hit 5.1 in 20 minutes which was shocking. I didn't test the starting pH so I'm sure it was way off.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 04:03:31 AM »
It went from adding culture to 5.1 in 20 Minutes ?

I would think that is not possible , it takes  minimum 20 Minutes for the culture to double so it is not possible for it to get so low so quick .

So assuming the milk was not really old and almost ready to curdle on its own , I think there may be something wrong with your ph meter .