Author Topic: Hello From North Carolina  (Read 3831 times)

CFF

Hello From North Carolina
« on: July 10, 2009, 01:45:20 AM »
Hi"

My name is Hayne and I reside in Monroe North Carolina, its a small town just 30 miles east of Charlotte in the south central Piedmont of NC.
I own a small hobby farm (Russian honey bees - goats - a few cows and several gardens) My farm is Carolina Family Farm so my user name = CFF

I recently took a trip to the Republic of Georgia for work and fell in love with the home made bread and cheese that so abundant there. I returned home with a new interest in bread cheese wine and wine grapes so I have several new quest that I'm working on now.

I just sighed up for a three day cheese making class in Warren VT, at Three Sheppard's cheese for August 14 -16. Hopefully its a good class that will kick start the learning experience I want to have.

Thanks for allowing me to join   

Cheese Head

Re: Hello From North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 02:07:23 AM »
Howdy Hayne and welcome to this forum, lots of great people who know a lot more than me about cheese and making cheese.

Good to hear you made it to Country Georgia, I've never been in that area of the world . . .

There is a board for Cheese Courses, appreciate after your course if you do do a short right up on it.

Again welcome!

CFF

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 02:15:37 AM »
John "
Thanks for the warm welcome, I'll be sure to write up a review on my class and hopefully I'll learn enough to become a cheese maker too

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 08:22:53 PM »
Hi Hayne -welcome to the forum. Taking the class in Vermont is a great idea for the reason you mentioned. Sometimes you just need to see the process once for the whole concept to be ingrained. I worked with a fellow from Tblisi over the last few years and learned quite a bit about the country. I'm glad to hear that you had an interesting time there. Sounds like they are having really tough economic times now.

CFF

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 02:54:46 AM »
Hi Zenith1"

I stayed in Tblisi most of the time I was in Georgia, it was a great trip. Its really hard to say a lot about the economics in Georgia - yea there are some poor areas but every city block and back street is under construction.
There is a lot of government support (low interest loans) for valid new or expanding business and I think a few good years without any wars and these peaceful Georgian people will be in a class all of there own :)   

It is a beautiful place with wonderful people.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 06:07:52 AM »
Welcome CFF. I would love to take a class in Vermont. I have been dreaming of just that for many years. Wonderful artician cheese makers up there. Have fun!

CFF

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 01:18:18 PM »
Debi"

Why not sign up now?
You only live once - life is short.
I would love to actually know someone from the forum who attended the same class I did, we could share notes - share the cab ride ect.

There were two more places left when I signed up in the Aug 14-16 class

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 06:54:42 PM »
Right now I am busy caring for my roommate and very dear friend who just had a major stroke in April. We are just learning to walk again with a quad cane so leaving for a few days would be really tough. I am not sure where we'll be in August but it sure is tempting! Always more fun when you know someone face to face.

My understanding is they do several soft cheeses and oddly enough except for a few I have never made soft cheeses. No one ever told me there was a order to learning cheese making so I started with the ones I knew - mozzarella/ricotta then parmesan then cheddar, then edam. I've just started trying the soft cheeses at the grocery store recently to see what they are and I am curious about many mentioned here.

Do yo have a link to this place? I am in CT not really that far.

CFF

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 08:43:37 PM »
Here ya go http://www.threeshepherdscheese.com/CheeseClasses.aspx

right in your backyard  ;)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 04:09:25 AM »
Thanks I will check it out and see what I can do!

Cheese Library

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 08:50:49 PM »
Hello and welcome! This forum is a great resource to use for cheese making as well as learning more about the different types of cheeses in the world.

Ariel301

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 01:02:25 AM »
Hello and welcome.

Those pictures of Georgia are beautiful, what a great opportunity you had to go there. I'm sure the breads and cheese were amazing, homemade stuff is always so much better than storebought.

Is that one of your cows in your picture?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 03:20:17 AM »
CFF I checked the class last week and it was full. Probably just as well I need to keep an eye on my roomy ho will be home in about 2 weeks.

wharris

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 12:54:09 PM »
Hello Hayne!  Welcome to the forum!

CFF

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 02:47:33 AM »
Ariel 301
Thanks for the welcome - Georgia was a wonderful trip - I'm almost sure I'll be back there within a year on our next business adventure, and yes the cow is mine - a jersey :)