Author Topic: Petit Bleu  (Read 1522 times)

enightshade

Petit Bleu
« on: December 27, 2017, 04:42:30 PM »
I have been trying to make several blue cheeses in the past 6 weeks and I just tried one of the Petit Bleu cheeses made from the recipe on Gavin Webber's website (www.littlegreencheese.com). I used P. roqueforti, PBR6 HYP and mesophilic aromatic B for cultures.  Despite the fact I started it on Dec 3 (so it is only 23 days old) it was as runny as thick cream. The flavour was really pleasant but with little or no blue flavour. It seems to have a skin that reminds me of Camembert except it was gray with a bit of white fuzz. Does anyone have any idea why this might happen? I will try to download a picture of the cheese although I didn't take one after I cut it. I would really appreciate any feedback.
Also, if anyone can recommend a simple recipe for a blue cheese I would be thrilled to find one.  :D

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Petit Bleu
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 03:57:22 AM »
You do not say how big this cheese is but if it is quite small and pc or geo take over more than the blue then that would explain the runnyness .

Dorchestercheese

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 10:17:17 PM »
Where did you put it after you made it? Was the exterior dry? My first blues turned into soup.

enightshade

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 10:42:55 PM »
Hi Gregore,
The cheese is very small. That may be the trouble. There is white fuzzy stuff on the outside.

enightshade

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 10:45:53 PM »
Thanks for responding Dorcestercheese. I put these cheeses into my wine fridge at about 13oC. They were inside a ripening container. The outside was quite dry. I was surprised when I cut into it. These were also like soup. Did you figure out a way to resolve this issue?

enightshade

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 10:52:18 PM »
I tried to post a picture of the cheese but I am just getting an error message.
It is about 4 inches in diameter and 1.5 inches high. It is mostly a blue gray colour with a tiny bit of white here and there.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 04:03:53 AM »
What I would suggest is if you want more blue add about 2.5 percent  salt by weight . This will keep the pc held back a little but allow more blue .

Blue cheeses are almost always saltier than non blue cheeses .

enightshade

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 03:52:19 PM »
Thanks Gregore. That's a good idea. It is not a very salty cheese.

Frodage4

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 08:14:50 PM »
Hi Car,
I've made almost exclusively blues in the past 3 years, but always a gorgonzola style. Here is a link to my first make in 2015 with photos and make notes in a spreadsheet. If you have any questions, I can help you. I love blue cheese!
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13847.0.html

enightshade

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 02:10:34 AM »
Thanks Frodage4. I just read all the posts from your link and I must say it is inspiring! What a beautiful cheese!

Frodage4

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 02:35:04 AM »
It's nice of you to say. Have your first cheese, on me.

enightshade

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 02:51:27 PM »
Thank you Frodage4! :D