Author Topic: Sturdypress  (Read 9953 times)

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
Sturdypress
« on: December 31, 2017, 02:59:11 AM »
 After answering  too many Email requests with  "I don't make them any more", I have partnered with a young craftsman to continue making the Sturdypress.  The press is exactly the same as the old Sturdypress "original", so the calculator works as usual. It is now available at Sturdypress.com and soon on Ebay and Etsy.
Bob

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Sturdypress
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 05:11:52 PM »
Remember what I told you when you stopped?  There wasn't a doubt in my mind that the Sturdypress would become the gold standard for home cheese presses.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Duntov

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 05:09:11 PM »
You can't do this to me.  I HAD the last one made.  Sad day.....  j/k

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 07:19:57 PM »
 Thanks  Al  for the kind words now and in the past.   

We have been working  hard and my new partner with his background in custom furniture  is making really nice presses.  He is  planing on slowly taking over as he gets up to speed in use of the press and cheese making in general. 

Duntov, I think your expectations of future wealth from the last press are a little too high. In fact you only have the last one SOLD, the last one MADE (by me) is sitting on a shelf in my shop, but to ease your loss I will start counting presses made from a new number.

Cheers, Bob

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 04:34:33 PM »
Sorry John but without serial numbers, or a notarized statement from Bob, you could never prove it.  I might have the last one. LOL

Duntov

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 05:44:55 AM »
Sorry John but without serial numbers, or a notarized statement from Bob, you could never prove it.  I might have the last one. LOL

I still have Bob's e-mail confirming it was the last one.  I printed it out and put it in my safety deposit box.   ;)

AnnDee

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 07:47:23 AM »
Sorry John,
You should've notarised that email because now I am afraid it is nullified by Bob's email to me saying that there are 2 presses heading my way.  ;D

Duntov

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 09:16:09 PM »
Sorry John,
You should've notarised that email because now I am afraid it is nullified by Bob's email to me saying that there are 2 presses heading my way.  ;D

Bummer!   :D

But seriously, I am super glad they are back in production.  It IS the best cheese press in my opinion.

AnnDee

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 01:35:03 AM »

Bummer!   :D

But seriously, I am super glad they are back in production.  It IS the best cheese press in my opinion.

Yep! Me too!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 05:28:20 PM »
Okay, you all have convinced me to make a change after having overbuilt my press a few years ago. When I designed my press I believed you had to apply tremendous pressure to make the cheese...up to half a ton! Boy, was I wrong.

So starting my ninth year in crafting my cheeses I ordered a SturdyPress today. I'm a slow learner, I guess. ::)

Anyone want a used press that may create diamonds from coal? ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 07:30:00 PM »
Okay, you all have convinced me to make a change after having overbuilt my press a few years ago. When I designed my press I believed you had to apply tremendous pressure to make the cheese...up to half a ton! Boy, was I wrong.

So starting my ninth year in crafting my cheeses I ordered a SturdyPress today. I'm a slow learner, I guess. ::)

-Boofer-

Love it!! ;D

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 01:09:15 AM »
But Boofer your press was my inspiration :'(
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:30:23 AM by H-K-J »
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

AnnDee

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 03:06:01 PM »

-Boofer-

Me! me!  ;D

Happy 9th cheeseversary!

curiouser_alice

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 02:40:29 AM »
I will have to wait until the money looks better.  I built my own direct press for about $15 but there is no leverage, so I'm limited to the weight on hand.  But yes, the Sturdypress is on my list.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 05:51:22 PM »
But Boofer your press was my inspiration :'(
Harold, that's museum-worthy craftsmanship. Far more beautiful than my "press the life out of it" effort. :-[

The press arrived yesterday, assembled easily, and appears to be asking me for a Cantal to exercise it's muscles.  ;)

When I consider the weight, ease of use, and size of this new press and my homemade press...there is no useful comparison. My giant-killer worked well for many cheeses, but it had to be man-handled to heft it from the garage to inside the house. It's weight is somewhere around 50 pounds, whereas the SturdyPress tips the scales at or around 17 pounds. My wife could hand me this press, but certainly not my incredible hulk of a cheese press.

I have found that there are exceptions that require substantial pressing power, but most cheeses I make require very little pressure to knit the curd, eliminate whey, and create a smooth, closed rind.

Thanks, Ann. :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.