Author Topic: Hello from Iowa!!  (Read 1437 times)

iCheese

Hello from Iowa!!
« on: July 10, 2009, 06:45:43 AM »
Hello everyone! I'm glad I found this place. I am new to the cheese making scene... in fact, I just made my very first queso blanc tonight and I'm already bubbling with questions and eager to learn more. My goal has always been to make Parmesan! I'm willing to start small though! Can't wait to pick the brains of more experienced cheesers. 

Cheese Head

Re: Hello from Iowa!!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 11:28:39 AM »
Hello iCheese, good name :)!

Welcome to this forum, lots of good people and posts here on making your holy grail!

There's a sticky post here for newbies . . . have fun!

iCheese

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 02:08:12 PM »
Thanks! I was surprised it was still available.  ;D

Thanks for the link. I'm really excited and have read lots but I feel like I'm still on my first day of Kindergarten. I am determined to master some soft cheeses before moving on. There's so much to learn but I'm looking forward to gleaning info from here!

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 05:44:20 PM »
iCheese, most of the more experienced cheese makers here recommend choose a cheese and perfect it before moving on. Easier to do with soft - fresh cheeses as shorter cycle time (and less equipment).

But as you'll see from some of my cheese making record posts, I've tended to bounce around and thus am not very good at any of them :(.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 06:10:17 AM »
Welcome iCheese. This will rapidly become an addictive hobby. So many cheses and so little time!

iCheese

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 05:59:20 PM »
It all started with some simple yogurt cheese. I discovered that I could make it to my own consistency and flavor and I wanted to do that with other cheeses as well.

When I told my husband I wanted to start making cheese he sighed and said, "Oh great. Now we are going to be that crazy family who gives cheese for every special occasion and holiday."

LOL

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 06:38:55 PM »
"Oh great. Now we are going to be that crazy family who gives cheese for every special occasion and holiday."

What's wrong with that? When I show up without a cheese or a sausage or a rack of ribs everyone asks me if they ask if they did something wrong. I feel like Santa Claus they always want to know what's in the bag today.