Author Topic: Vat - Reg's 7 Gallon Stockpot  (Read 4227 times)

reg

Vat - Reg's 7 Gallon Stockpot
« on: June 13, 2008, 11:22:05 AM »
i layed my hands on a 7 gal SS stock pot with a multi layered bottom yesterday. it was at one of the restaurants and was only used occasionally. so the plan is to use it at work four days a week then borrow it for making 5 gal cheese batches at home. i'm a very happy camper now :-)

reg

Cheese Head

Re: Vat - Reg's 7 Gallon Stockpot
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 03:57:01 PM »
Wow, between you, DD and I we are all making larger cheeses, the problem is eating it all!

Congrats on loaner heavy duty huge stockpot, bet your better half will be pleased when it shows up in the kitchen :o ;)!

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 04:37:07 PM »
Nice score! ;D

There's something very satisfying about creating a large wheel of cheese.  The only problem with a large pot, at least mine, is it is difficult to clean since it does not fit in my sink.

Heathers

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 02:48:57 AM »
I agree. I started making cheeses with 2 gallons. Now I use four gallons per cheese. The bigger the better! I figure if I'm going to all the trouble (fun trouble, that is)...maybe I'll do 5 gallons.

My press is too small though.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 10:09:53 AM »
Heathers, did you home build a press or store bought and how do you like it and pictures please?

reg

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 12:39:56 PM »
we don't seem to have a problem eating any size wheel of cheese in this household. at least 50% of the cheese i make gets eaten by friends and relatives or co-workers

at this point most of the equipment i have at home is maxed out at a 5lb wheel made from 4 gals of milk. suppose i could squeeze in another gal but that would be it

reg

Tea

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 11:50:10 PM »
I have been wanting to upgrade to a bigger pot too, but of course it raised the obvious questions of cleaning, bigger hoop moulds, and larger press.  I really really want to go bigger, but have to organise other things first.
Patience.

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 12:04:30 AM »
Agree, bigger stoickpot means everything has to go up in size. With so many kids, what's the demographics on your household, will you need large volumes of cheese for long term or are you thinking of friends as well as family?

Tea

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 01:03:49 AM »
Both really.  I would love to have a go at a decent size wheel of cheddar, as with what I've got I can only really make a 1.25kg.  If I am going to go to all the trouble of aging, it would be nice if it would last a bit longer, especially as I question my being able to age cheeses through summer, with the "cave" I have now.