Author Topic: An unintentionally fast havarti  (Read 1047 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
An unintentionally fast havarti
« on: January 03, 2018, 05:53:49 AM »
My cheese making depends on how much milk I get to bring home from the farm where I volunteer. The calf is (finally) weaned at 6.5 months, so there is milk again!! Production is not high, but I got to milk two days in a row, and brought home 29# in all - about 3.5 gallons of lovely, high fat, Jersey milk.
I was wanting a tender buttery style cheese, and so decided to do a variation on a havarti type make. Funny thing happened on the way however.... I added 1/16 tsp of FD to the still mildly warm milk from the first day collection since I was not going to use it the same day, and tucked it in the refrigerator. Next day, I added 1/16 tsp FD to the second collection, since I still could not make milk that day, and tucked that milk into the frig as well!
Ready for making my cheese the next day.... My starting pH was 6.4 after a fairly rapid warming of the milk!! OOPS! I chased the pH of the make the whole way!
Total time from at temp to brine was 4 hours.
Lesson learned... Don't add FD to warmish milk and hold in the frig for 2 days!!
Another point of interest, the make produced a cheese of almost 5#. Pretty good size from 3.5 gallons! Makes me wonder about the moisture in this one!
I intend to test the cheese at 2 months. Who knows, it may be good anyway!!
Susan

Frodage4

Re: An unintentionally fast havarti
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 02:39:25 AM »
Beautiful! You are an inspiration, Susan!

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 01:07:13 AM »
How did it turn out?

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 01:30:45 AM »
I haven't posted in quite a while, but that cheese was announced "one of the best ever" by enthusiastic family members. It was creamy and smooth and meltable and amazingly all eaten in record time.
Susan

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 02:51:30 AM »
Congrats!  AC4U

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.