Author Topic: Fontina  (Read 1114 times)

curiouser_alice

Fontina
« on: January 09, 2018, 02:42:38 AM »
I may not have understood what a Fontina was - but I made one, following the recipe carefully, and have been using a brine wash every other day.  Early on there was quite a bit of blue mold growth but that has completely stopped.  Do I need to keep doing the brine wash?

curiouser_alice

Re: Fontina
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 02:43:40 AM »
Also - smells an AWFUL lot like Parmesan.  Hm.

curiouser_alice

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 01:08:06 AM »
Does anyone have experience with doing a two batch cheese?  I think one of the reasons my cheeses are dry is because they are small.  I can make them twice as big, but I either need to buy a bigger pot or do two batches, one after the other.  I suspect that two batches will be more trouble than it is worth and I should just invest in a 4 gallon pot.

Offline FooKayaks2

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 01:36:24 AM »
Hi Alice

If you want to make a larger style cheese I would advise investing in a larger pot or a second pot and make two
Batches side by side. If you make 2 batches one after the other the pH of the curd will be at different levels and you won’t end up with a fontina.

2 cheeses I can think of that are made in this way are morbier and Gorgonzola with a batch made 2 days in a row.

Buy a big pot you won’t regret it!

Good luck
Mathew

curiouser_alice

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 02:11:00 PM »
Thanks!  So I ordered a 4 gal pot, which means my total capacity is now 6 gal (previously I had a 2 gal pot).  We'll see how a bigger batch goes.

curiouser_alice

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 11:51:58 PM »
Here is the first attempt at Fontina.  You can see why I want to make a bigger cheese.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 10:38:02 PM »
COME on now, how does it taste?
It looks fantastic! AC4U
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 04:01:15 PM »
Don't be disheartened--just call it something else.  After all, the way cheeses age is as much about what they end up being. So if it tastes good, don't say it was "supposed" to be a Fontina--just say it is Alice's WonderCheese or whatever name you want and THAT'S what it will be (an no one will be the wiser.)
AC4U to keep the faith.
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

curiouser_alice

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 07:08:59 PM »
Oh, it's completely and totally delicious!  I WILL try again, it's just a bit disheartening to keep coming up with things I didn't expect.  Thanks for the cheese!