Author Topic: Hello from Pa!  (Read 1055 times)

tangerine

Hello from Pa!
« on: July 11, 2009, 12:47:13 AM »
I'm new to cheesemaking and happy to find a forum!
I started with cream cheese a few months ago, with raw cream, and it worked like magic.....but I haven't been able to make it since (Grrrr) I'm hoping to figure out a way to make raw cream cheese regularly, as it is a family favorite.  I've made small curd cottage cheese, which was delicious, and whole milk ricotta, paneer, 30 minute mozzarella, and that's it so far.  I want to try large curd cottage cheese, and just got some rennet. 
Life with a toddler keeps me pretty busy, so I want to mostly concentrate of soft cheeses for now, until I have more time to focus on hard cheeses.  ;D

ETA: I've been making yogurt for years, and have dabbled with kefir, but the daily checking in and changing is too much for me right now, so I'll stick with raw milk yogurt.  I look forward to one day making parmesan, as it is my favorite cheese, but I'm gonna work my way there slowly.   :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 12:53:06 AM by tangerine »

Cheese Head

Re: Hello from Pa!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 02:56:20 AM »
Hi tangerine and welcome to this forum, assume you are in Pennsylvania State in USA?

Good news on your cheese making, looking forward to your input, sadly I'm only using store bought milk here in Houston, Texas.

Lots of good people and posts here.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 06:04:12 AM »
Welcome Tangerine!

I started making this version of cream cheese about 2 years ago and it's really creamy!

Cream Cheese  - from Tim Smith "Making Artisan Cheese"
sweet, soft, mild-tasting, white cheese

Ingredients:
4 cups (950 ml) non-ultra pasteurized half and half
1 cup (235 ml) non-ultra-pasteurized whipping cream
2 tablespoons (28 ml) buttermilk
Salt
Herbs (optional)

Procedure:
Heat the creams to 90 Fahrenheit (32 Celsius), then stir in the buttermilk and pour the mixture into a sanitized mixing bowl, preferably glass or any nonreactive metal. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Wrap a few kitchen towels around the bowl, making certain that they fit snugly. Place the bowl in a warm area, and let it sit for twenty-four hours.

After twenty-four hours, the cream mixture should have the consistency of yogurt and should not move when the bowl is leaned on its side. If it still has some movement, the cultures need more time to develop, so let it sit for another six to twelve hours. Once you have a firm mixture, pour it into your cheese cloth-lined colander with a catch bowl underneath. Allow it to drain for fifteen minutes, then fold the cheese cloth over the cheese. Place the colander in a deep bowl for continued draining. Cover it with plastic, and place in the refrigerator for as long as twelve to fourteen hours.

Remove the curd from the cheese cloth, and salt to taste. Add herbs if desired. Reshape the curds into balls and wrap them in fresh cheese cloth; put the balls back into the refrigerator in the colander. Make sure that you have a drip bowl under the colander to catch any additional whey. Cover the colander with plastic wrap, and let it sit for thirty-six to forty-eight hours, depending on the firmness of cheese you desire.

Place finished cheese in a sealed plastic container in the refrigerator. Stored this way, the cream cheese should last for up to two weeks.

Yield: 1 pound (450 g)
Turn solidifying mass in the cloth to hasten drainage. Store in a refrigerator. Use within a week or so.

tangerine

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 12:19:30 PM »
Thanks for the cream cheese recipe!

And yes, I'm from Pennsylvania, USA.

I'm happy to be here!

wharris

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 12:31:52 PM »
Welcome Tangerine.
I am your neighbor to the west.