Author Topic: Raclette  (Read 4466 times)

Mandalay

Raclette
« on: January 10, 2018, 02:34:24 AM »
Hello,  I am going to give a Raclette a go.  With the b.linens.  Is this added at the beginning along with the cultures as well as in the brine washing liquid. 
When using in the brine solution.  Is this mixed up prior to each use and does the b.linens need to be added to the water a particular length of time to allow it to start working?  Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to be informed prior to making it.  Thank You

AnnDee

Re: Raclette
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 02:58:48 PM »
Hi Mandalay,
I don't put blinens to the milk with the culture, I put it in the washing brine. I make the solution 1-2 days beforehand, but now because I make Raclette every month, I just top up my older solution.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 01:06:20 AM »
Many recipes do include the B linens in the milk with the ripening cultures.
But once you have it well established in your cave, it isn't really necessary anymore.

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

lovinglife

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 07:29:56 PM »
What do the b linens do for this cheese?  I want to make one but don't have b linens.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 03:50:05 AM »
B linens colonises the surface of the cheese but its effects work their way through the whole the whole cheese.
On the surface it makes the cheese slimy to touch and gives it a colour which varies from cream through various shades of pink and orange. It also has a distinctive odour, sometimes compared to unwashed feet.
Below the surface, substances produced in the rind act to soften the cheese and to produce some truly wonderful flavours.
If you do not have any linens, you could inoculate it  with a piece of rind from a washed rind cheese. On the other hand, if you keep the cheese at a very high humidity and wash it with a weak brine to keep moulds at bay, the Linens may well turn up all on its own.
- Andrew

Mandalay

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 03:06:30 PM »
Thank you so much for all of the comments.  Have only used the b.linens once and it was not viable.  Have picked up some more and want to make Raclette.  When mixing in with the Brine to wash the cheese.
 The brine is water/salt/b.linens ?
Does the mixture need to sit for a day or number of hours prior to using it?

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 03:35:21 AM »
The brine is water/salt/b.linens ?
Does the mixture need to sit for a day or number of hours prior to using it?
That's right, about 3% salt in the brine plus your BL. Probably a good idea to make it the day before to allow the bacteria to build up a good population, although BL is as tough as old boots (that's why it thrives in old boots).
- Andrew

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 02:53:10 PM »
And smells like old feet in old boots, too.

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Mandalay

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 02:50:42 PM »
Thanks so much for all the help.  One more question. 
When I make the brine for washing w the b.linens in it.  Does this need to be made for each time you wash the cheese or can one mix up a batch and pour off a bit into a sterilized dish to use for washing intern not contaminating the original mix made?  Will it store in the fridge for prior washes. 
Not an issue, just do not want to kill the b.linens.

Offline Scarlettbri12

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 14
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 06:30:13 PM »
Hi Mandalay,
I don't put blinens to the milk with the culture, I put it in the washing brine. I make the solution 1-2 days beforehand, but now because I make Raclette every month, I just top up my older solution.

Hi AnnDee,

Can you by any chance post your Raclette recipe? I've always been a fan of your cheeses, and if you're making it every month I'm sure you've got the recipe down perfectly! I've searched the forum high and low for a recipe and found a few, but many are different and/or vague and/or don't have pH markers and I don't know which are tried and true.

Thank you!!

Offline Scarlettbri12

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 08:39:00 PM »
Nevermind! I just found your post with the raclette recipe. Here is the link for anyone else looking: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,15900.msg121646.html#msg121646

Thank you again!

AnnDee

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 12:24:03 AM »
I actually sent my twicked recipe to Al Lewis just few days back and my iFiles on my iPad froze after that leaving my notes and recipes hostage in it.
I will message him if he can post the recipe here. :)

Offline Scarlettbri12

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 02:25:44 AM »
That would be amazing!!

Thank you  ^-^

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 04:24:46 AM »

When I make the brine for washing w the b.linens in it.  Does this need to be made for each time you wash the cheese or can one mix up a batch and pour off a bit into a sterilized dish to use for washing intern not contaminating the original mix made?  Will it store in the fridge for prior washes. 
I typically make up a quantity of linens or PLA-laced brine in a sealable container, and may also put some into a small mister bottle. I use distilled water. It stores quite well in the fridge. I pour out a bit in a clean bowl to wash/wipe a cheese. It doesn't take a lot to wipe the cheese down. You don't want excessive moisture pooling on the surface.

Here's some additional information.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 06:43:37 AM »
My procedure is a bit different from  Boofer's. I also just make up one batch in a sealed jar but then I use the wash directly from the jar. I then drop the cloth into the jar and re-seal it for next time. It gets to looking pretty disgusting pretty quickly but, to my way of thinking, it's only contaminated with stuff that came off the cheese anyway. I don't know if I'm doing the right thing but it seems to work.
- Andrew