Author Topic: Raclette  (Read 4467 times)

AnnDee

Re: Raclette
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 08:24:16 AM »
My procedure is a bit different from  Boofer's. I also just make up one batch in a sealed jar but then I use the wash directly from the jar. I then drop the cloth into the jar and re-seal it for next time. It gets to looking pretty disgusting pretty quickly but, to my way of thinking, it's only contaminated with stuff that came off the cheese anyway. I don't know if I'm doing the right thing but it seems to work.

I saw a french cheesemaker do this thing, I was horrified at first (the liquid did not look too clean if you ask me). Then I ate the cheese and what cheese it was! The best thing is, that I am still alive until now after eating the cheese.
But I cannot practice that when I make cheese for other people, just in case I cannot maintain the morge very well with the climate and temp here, and also I am worried people will be too grossed out by it   ;D

AnnDee

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 08:33:46 AM »
Here it is, this is a Danisco Recipe from here, I just modify a little. For me it is important to salt it properly, otherwise the cheese will have bitterness.

Raclette

7 gal (I use 30L) milk, warm to 90F (32C)
Add Choozit Alp D LYO 100 DCU/1000 scant 1/4 tsp
Ripen 60 - 90 min until pH 6.5 >>>> most of time this takes 90 minutes
Rennet: 1 tsp liquid rennet
(Renco powder for 7 gal 1/4 tsp)
Target flocc time: 15 - 18 min
Coagulation time: 30 - 40 min.
Flocc multiplier 3.5

Cutting:  pea to hazelnut size

Stir:  25 min, gently

WASHING:
Remove 25% of the whey
Add the same amount clear 140F water until 100F.
  pH before Washing:  6.35 - 6.40

OR!!!!

NO WASHING:
Heat the curd to 100F (38C), gradually while stirring gently (20-30 minutes)

* Stir 10 min (no need if you don't wash with water)

Prepress under whey for 10 min

Press in cheesecloth-lined mold at 10 lb. only
* modification from me:
Flip and press 24 lbs 12 hrs.
Flip and press 24 lbs 12 hrs

Brine for 1 day in saturated brine bath
* modification from me:
Brine 2.5hr/lbs

pH after brining: 5.2

Let the surface dry

Affinage:

**Modification from me:
Dry for 2-3 days. Keep in a ripening box until a bit slimy/sticky. Then start washing.
Day 1: wash all over.
Day 2: no wash. Flip.
Day 3: wash 1 side only.
Day 4: wash the other side.
Everyday like this until day 10.
After that 2x a week wash, flip every day.

b linens in 3% salt solution - smear
Smear twice on the 1st and 3rd day.
After day 5, smear every 3rd day.
Store at cave temp (52 F) , RH 90 95%

At the end of the first month the cheese should have a rather dry smear.

Age for 2 to 4 months. >>>> after this advisable to keep it in the colder fridge.

For local: 1 month smear.
For the Swiss: 2 months.

Offline Scarlettbri12

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 14
  • Default personal text
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 07:44:53 PM »
Yayy! Thank you AnnDee!

Very excited to try this cheese, I had raclette melted over potatoes for the first time a week ago, and I can't stop thinking about how great it was!  ;D ;D

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 11:09:10 PM »
But I cannot practice that when I make cheese for other people, just in case I cannot maintain the morge very well with the climate and temp here, and also I am worried people will be too grossed out by it   ;D
Don't let them see >:D
- Andrew

Mandalay

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 03:09:35 PM »
Ann Dee, Raw Prawn, Boofer & everyone,
Thank You so much for all your assistance and information.  Now, I need to go ahead with this cheese and really looking forward to the process and seeing how I make out.  Again, what a fantastic support and help.

Mandalay

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2018, 04:15:02 PM »
Once the b.linens solution is prepared, can I store it in the fridge or will this pose a problem for the b.linens?  Also, I have been having issues w keeping my cave/fridge up to 11C.  It is riding at about 10C.  Is this going to slow down the process or could it stop it all together (the development of color from b.linens)?

AnnDee

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 02:25:49 PM »
Yes you can store it in the fridge.
I keep my Raclettes at around 10 so they develop slowly especially if I have enough stock of ready to consume ones. The still have red orange rind.

Mandalay

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 02:51:04 PM »
Thanks so much, Ann.  I really appreciate all of the help from yourself and others.  Really looking forward to the progression of this cheese.  Intrigues me.

Mandalay

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 03:07:23 PM »
I have a Raclette cheese in ripening box and it is now at 25 days.  It has a nice color hue on it.  With this being my first Raclette cheese I am not familiar w it.  When first made it was softer and has become much firmer into it's aging.  I have been washing it every 3 days.  This morning when I took it out of the ripening box, the corners (where sides meet the top & bottom) felt soft.  Is this normal for this cheese?  At what point do you stop Washing it?  Is this cheese aged in the ripening box up until eating or is it taken out and aged in lower humidity?

AnnDee

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 12:56:35 AM »
The paste will get a little softer (but not runny) from the blinens, don’t get the rind too wet after washing, if it is too wet let the humidity drop a little to dry the rind. Maybe now you can wash with weak brine only (no blinens added). I wash my Raclettes for 1-2 months then they are vac sealed or wrapped.

Offline CaffeineFlo

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2020, 05:15:05 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I'm trying to make this recipe today and I wonder about this part of the recipe:

Dry for 2-3 days. Keep in a ripening box until a bit slimy/sticky. Then start washing.

After 2-3 days of drying, how do you get the slimy/sticky consistency back? Or do you keep it drying in the ripening box?