Author Topic: My parmesan cracked in the brine  (Read 2072 times)

falinna

My parmesan cracked in the brine
« on: January 14, 2018, 04:10:52 AM »
Hello! I made my first parmesan using 6 gallons of milk 2 weeks ago, all went well I think. Got too enthousiastic and made a second one, using 9 gallons of milk. That was fun... I had a hard time controlling temperature and stirring the curd properly in my 10 gallon kettle.

Anyway among other things that went a little wrong, the parm cracked after a few hours in the brine, and sources suggested that the brine was too acidic, and it was the case. I tried to adjust it, then made a new brine for the remaining brining time. Also, maybe the curds were too dry before pressing. Now that the cheese is out and in the cheese cave, i'm afraid theses cracks will be an invitation for molds and I'm wondering if I can wax it or vac pack right now instead of waiting a few months like one usualy would? I suppose I should let the rind age a bit before but how can I protect it in the meantime? Thanks for your input!

5ittingduck

Re: My parmesan cracked in the brine
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 06:28:38 AM »
Vac packing should work for you, but you will have to get it dried a bit before you pack it.
4 day in a frost free fridge should do it if you are confident the fridge is clean and there is no contamination risk.
Then into the bag and wait 2 years  :o

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 07:11:07 AM »
You could also use lard if you want to make a parm  that is air aged

falinna

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 03:27:31 AM »
Thank you for your 5ittingduck and Gregore for your replies! I'm tempted to follow both recommandations : try the lard to air age it as long as I can, then vaccuum pack, but it is a risk... On the other hand, I'm not familiar with vacuum packing cheese and I have always wondered if there is a great loss of taste VS air aging. But is is worth trying, and not lose all that wheel to moulds!

5ittingduck

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 06:54:19 AM »
Good luck!
Vac packing is a bit controversial and confronting in some circles, but I have made some nice cheeses using it.
If you are in the area, feel free to drop by and try some ;)

falinna

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 10:23:46 PM »
5ittingduck : i'm a bit far from your home, but if I ever travel that far I will keep the invitation in mind :)