Author Topic: Two questions on my first attempt at goats' milk brie  (Read 947 times)

jimnyo

Two questions on my first attempt at goats' milk brie
« on: January 19, 2018, 01:30:59 AM »
I made tiny (like 3") discs of goats' milk brie. Two questions:

1 disc that I isolated b/c there was no more room in my steamer tray tucked in a plastic cake carrier I was using for aging, was left to age in the butter compartment of the fridge, in a tupperware w/the lid off and a small ramekin of water for moisture. Well, it completely dried out. HOWEVER, when I cut it open and tried eating it anyway, it was so delicious! It was kind of like an aged Gouda a little bit. What happened and can I duplicate it and is it no longer brie but a different kind of cheese?

The other discs turned out fine, by appearances. Perfect rind, nice and soft inside. However, the cheese tastes so 'sharp' (I don't know that bitter is the right word), that it burns my lips! Some people say that bad brie tastes like ammonia, but I've never used ammonia, so I don't even know how it smells. What did I do wrong? And if I leave it in the butter compartment like the first disc, will it turn into that better, albeit dried out, result?

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Two questions on my first attempt at goats' milk brie
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 04:41:57 AM »
I have no answer on the bitter cheese and why it would be sooo strong.

But the dried out Brie is normal of any cheese that is held in a lower humidity  it will slowely dry out and change its flavor profile as other microbes that like it dry start to add to the party .  I do this all the time when making charouce . Just try to do it slowely

You might try this on the other bries if they do not start behaving flavor wise.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
Re: Two questions on my first attempt at goats' milk brie
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 06:13:51 PM »
If you left the bries wrapped for too long in non breathable paper, they will develop ammonia gas as they ripen and it can escape, thus affecting the smell and taste of the cheese.

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.