Author Topic: whey disposal  (Read 2763 times)

nettie

whey disposal
« on: January 19, 2018, 02:31:52 AM »
Hi fellow cheesies,

I am hoping someone is able to give some advice re the best way to dispose of whey.  We are currently in the planning stages of building a cheese factory and we are trying to figure out the cleanest and safest way to dispose of the whey.  I was thinking of sending this to the septic system but I am not sure if there is to much liquid then. We are also looking at building a wetland tank to filter the water but we are not 100% sure on how to do this. Also how can we make powder from this whey.  If anyone has any plans local regulations or anyways for disposal it would be great.

Thanks in advance

Annette

SOSEATTLE

Re: whey disposal
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 02:09:11 AM »
My understanding is whey is not good for septic systems due to the liquid amount and acidity. Do you have any pig farmers around? Whey makes excellent food for pigs.

Susan

Offline FooKayaks2

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 04:51:57 AM »
Nettie,

It really depends on what quality of water you are allowed to discharge, will you be discharging to a trade waste or sewer system? If that is the case you may just get away with solids Seperation using a baffled interceptor tank and then pH correcting to be within discharge limits. If you are being charged for BOD and other things you may need to look at an advanced treatment process, using a DAF and or a biological treatment process.

If you are not discharging to a trade waste point and need to be able to have acceptable water to discharge for irrigation or via septic style system, a biological treatment plant could be the way to go. You could even have a holding tank and use one or more of these BIogill membrane bioreactor towers (https://www.biogill.com/projects/food-beverage/binnorie-dairy/). With the right bacteria you could remove BOD and be able to then discharge through a septic system if set up correctly.

Mathew
Send me a private message if you would like me to fi d out some system specific information on the BIogill towers for you, we deal with the, for work and could ask some questions and find out who the most appropriate contact person would be for you to deal with in your location.

nettie

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 02:46:45 AM »
Thanks Matthew,

We are in Sri Lanka and not connected to any drainage or town sewerage here.  We have 20 acrea and we are hoping to set up like a wetland with a holding tank to filter the water and use the treated water for irrigation.  We are growing pasture for our cows and want to use the water for this.  Any ideas or help with this would be appreciated.  I will certainly have a look at your link.

Cheers

Annette