Author Topic: a newbie with a cheddar question  (Read 1316 times)

SpunkyAmos

a newbie with a cheddar question
« on: January 23, 2018, 01:24:38 AM »
hello all,

I was given a SturdyPress cheese press and would like to learn how to make hard cheeses.  I have made cottage cheese, ricotta, etc from our own raw Brown Swiss milk.

With the gift of the press, I'm looking into making cheddar.  However, one puzzling step in most recipes say to put the pot into a sink of hot water, and raise the temp from 90* to 100*, but only 2* every 5 minutes.  How do I keep a sink of water (that cools off) at such a precise temperature? and then increase so slowly?  would I be able to keep it on the stove element and regulate it that way?  if not, why not?

I've looked through the forum for this subject, to no avail.  So I've now joined and any advice is appreciated.

thank you!
Amy.

5ittingduck

Re: a newbie with a cheddar question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 01:56:37 AM »
The easiest way to do this is by putting your pot of milk into a slightly larger pot with a bit of water in it and warming it gently on the stove. 
You can also do this with a Sous Vide circulator in a vat (or your sink for that matter).
I have attached a photo of the pots I use.  The pots in front slot neatly into the ones behind.
The Sous Vide method was discussed somewhere else on this site recently with pictures.

SpunkyAmos

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 02:50:03 PM »
thank you very much, and for your photos!   I like your double-boiler-like setup much better than the sink method, it seems like it'd be much more controlled.

I look forward to learning more about hard cheese making on this forum!

thanks again.

AeonSam

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 05:49:59 PM »
Hello,

In the beginning of my cheese making - I had to use the sink method and the way I did it was to have a pot of hot water handy and I would just pour a little in at a time and stir. The 2 to 5 minute speed isn't a iron-hard rule. It's just best to be on the conservative side. As you do it more often, you start to get a feel of the heating rate from the sink to the milk. If I started to over heat it. I'd throw in some cold water or simply take the pot out of the sink.

If you don't have to use the sink, then the water bath is better as sittingduck said.

I don't use either one now. I use a "griddle" set up that a user here came up with and I have really good control of the temp now.

Sam

SpunkyAmos

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 06:46:56 PM »
a further question, probably a dumb one ...

does the level of the water in the sink need to be at the same level as the milk in the pot?  I'm assuming not, because with a double boiler-like setup, it wouldn't be, but maybe I'm wrong here. 

thanks for helping me!

Amy.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 09:35:16 PM »
does the level of the water in the sink need to be at the same level as the milk in the pot?  I'm assuming not, because with a double boiler-like setup, it wouldn't be, but maybe I'm wrong here. 

It doesn't have to be. My pots are probably 10cm above the water level in the sink. As long as you have lids o your pots, it should be alright.

SpunkyAmos

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 01:32:01 PM »
thank you both for your help!

Another thing I'm wondering:

With the cheese press, came 2 different size molds/forms.  Does it matter which size for which cheese?  Wouldn't the different sizes affect the amount of pressure needed?  One is taller and thinner, the other is wider.

I'm awaiting supplies in the mail, and then I'm hoping to get started soon!  We'll see what happens!

thanks,
Amy.

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 07:02:10 PM »
Hi Amy

The size (diameter ) of the mold used depends on how much milk you start with. For a specific recipe or cheese type the pressure should be the same on all mold sizes, but to get the correct pressure it will require a different weight for each mold size.To calculate this check the calculator on my website.

Bob

SpunkyAmos

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 11:36:39 PM »
thank you, that was helpful!

I think I need to just leap in, and try for the first time, and see how it goes!

thanks, everyone.

Amy.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

SpunkyAmos

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 06:49:54 PM »
I appreciate your links and the photos... I learn visually so to actually see it is a help.

How crucial is the pressing time?  If the recipe says, press for 12 hours, does 11 or 13 hours hurt, or is it important to stick to 12 hours?  Haha, I guess I'm trying to work around this thing called night time and sleep =) without cheese babysitting.

I'd also like to figure out a useful worksheet for me and my notes, but maybe that will come after the first time so I know a bit more about how it all goes.

thanks!
Amy.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 04:25:07 AM »
Each of those links should have the make sheet attached..  If not PM me and I'll send you mine.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !