Author Topic: Is aged cheese (especially cheddar) saltier than young  (Read 3770 times)

BurningKrome

Is aged cheese (especially cheddar) saltier than young
« on: January 23, 2018, 08:38:48 PM »
I'm on a low sodium diet. I have found some good low-sodium cheeses (gouda, made with potassium salt, for example) - but they have no bite.

My question is "Do aged cheeses have a higher sodium content"? My goal is; if they do not (or not significantly) I could buy a bitterly sharp aged cheddar (7 - 9 years), and mix it to a moderate sharp with the low sodium cheese - without breaking my sodium budget.

A great alternate answer would be a source for good, sharp cheddar made with low sodium THAT SELLS in Germany, the UK, or EU.

Thanks!

5ittingduck

Re: Is aged cheese (especially cheddar) saltier than young
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 11:19:29 PM »
I'm not a Doctor, but here's a few observations. 
If I make a cheddar, I put in X amount of salt.  When it's young, and when it's aged, the salt content is the same (ignoring small percentage changes for moisture loss over time.)
The same is true for almost all cheeses except those stored in brine.
That said, an old and a young cheddar side by side on a supermarket shelf don't necessarily have the same salt content, they may have had different amounts added at manufacture.
Sharpness in cheese comes from age, and low sodium cheeses are unlikely to be very old.  Buy some, stick them in a fridge for a year, and they will probably be MUCH tastier.
You could make low sodium cheeses, then you will know the exact contents, but you may not be in a position to undertake this and wait the required time for ageing.
My suggestion would be a 2 part one.  Buy a batch of low sodium cheeses and put them away to age, trying one every 3 months.  In the interim, satisfy your craving as you suggested by mixing Low Sodium cheese with a small amount of the most powerfully flavoured cheeses which suit the application.  Parmesan and Blue would be my first pick in Australia, but in Europe you would have many more to pick from.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Is aged cheese (especially cheddar) saltier than young
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 12:11:05 AM »
I too am not a Doc and as already posted the salt is part of the preservation process and also required to halt or significantly slow - at a certain pH - the lactose conversion action of the culture. The salt content would greatly depend on the type of Cheddar.  That said, if your sodium budget is of concern you can make it yourself and adjust the salt.  I put 2% salt, by weight in my Cheddars - commercially I can't say.  You would have to look at the ingredients on the packet, if you have them..

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !